Oil cooler rebuild

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
While rebuilding an oil cooler, do i need to take apart a pressure regulator or anything?
Or just put new o rings on and blow out the cores?
Thanks!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Just rod out the tubes and grease the o rings when it goes together. You seem to have gotten it done. How did you squeeze on the headers? I used a Bessy clamp and some 2x4 to cushion the ends.

shawn deere

Reaction score
Just rod out the tubes and grease the o rings when it goes together. You seem to have gotten it done. How did you squeeze on the headers? I used a Bessy clamp and some 2x4 to cushion the ends.
Funny you should ask. Lol

I did it in my basement in my jammies and a few beers.

Greased up the orings and the housing where they go, got a 3" by 3" held the cooler with my feet and hit it on. The water pump side went on good. The oil filter side said no
Ended up putting a knee and a stabilizer hand on it to keep some pressure on and with the other hand tapped on the cooler lip with a pry bar.

I seen the video of the guy lifting his pickup by his cooler and a floor jack though. Lmao

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
These headers have a very tight fit because of alignment. Try installing them without o rings to "feel the fit". Alignment is the key to easy install.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used some 2x4s and the bucket of a FIL on a small tractor to push mine together. Heavy assembly grease on the o-rings and a spotter. Pushed it together nice and easy. Lol

I tried everything else I could... beat on it with a rubber mallet... wouldn't fit in my press... but it worked out.

shawn deere

Reaction score
You put yours together with a tractor? That is awesome!! Lol

Is the little tab on the tube suposed to be clear in the notch on the header?

Mine was so nasty when it came off. I had to scrape around to find all the mounting bolts. It had been leaking for a while...

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup and yes that little tab locates the ends to the tube. The tab needs to be down in the notch.

We put one together by hand earlier that same day... my buddies basically slid together with just a bit of weight on it. It was tight but manageable. That night, I figured I'd do mine... yeah... not so lucky with it. Lol

shawn deere

Reaction score
Upon further inspection i noticed that little tab was bent. I think shes good, if the bolts dont line up ill find a tractor to cram it in further. Lmao.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's the picture above, you should be good. My tab was basically flush with the end of the foot. Yours looks to be the same.

WarNose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a floor jack and the bottom of my trucks frame to press it together. With a couple of 2x4s and my kid holding everything on alignment, we got it together. One side was tougher to get on than the other but I don't remember which one.

One of my tubes was so plugged up with scale that I couldn't unplug it. I rammed it with Tig wire as hard as I thought wouldn't do damage, and nothing. I tried a drill motor but quit because I thought I might wear the tube wall before it unplugged. I was scared to soak it in vinegar or CLR because I thought it might do some unforeseen damage. I eventually put it back on as is, figuring one plugged tube couldn't be too harmful.

cahner

Reaction score
Where did you get the new O rings? I can not find any locally. I am needing to do mine since I just took it out.

WarNose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where did you get the new O rings? I can not find any locally. I am needing to do mine since I just took it out.
I bought mine at Peterson's Trucks for some outrageous price. Rock Auto has them for a lot cheaper but even paying for expedited shipping would probably be a lot cheaper than what I paid at Peterson's. I've heard that the set with two green o-rings lasts longer. Also in the tech section there is the o-rings dimensions

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online