oil cooler question

romulus

Reaction score
93 f250 factory turbo 4x4

this weekend i'm going to replace my steering box, radiator, and engine oil/filter. i have all the gaskets and o-rings for the oil cooler so i thought i might fix that leaky sob while i'm in there.

the question is: do i really need to remove the engine mount and support the engine if the oil filter is off and steering box is out of the way?

thanks

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
The steering shaft and frame crossmember are the offending obstructions.
Undoing the two motor mount to frame nuts and lifting the motor up 3" on the drivers side allows the cooler to roll right on out the rear of the motor.
Should take more time to drain fluids than to.e to remove the oil cooler itself.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I did was remove the exhaust manifold, steering shaft and fender well. It gave me enough room. But I had recently had the engine all apart so the exhaust manifold came right off. The exhaust manifold bolt up next to the cab was kinda a pita. If your removing it replace the o-rings. I have a set that I would sell that I was going to put in a spare oil cooler I have. Or you can get them at ford or international. I got mine from international. The part numbers are in the parts bin on here, not sure if the international ones are or not but if you need those ones I can get them for you or a little searching would find them also. But these orings are brittle in there if they are original so its worth your time to replace them if your taking the cooler off. It can save you a lot of grief down the road.

romulus

Reaction score
thanks for the info. i have all new o-rings and gaskets from the stealer on hand.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cool best of luck to you. It wasn't all that hard just mainly messy. You want to get a lot of the coolant drained also before you do it or you will get a flood of coolant all over you. I drained a lot but still lost some. I used the engine block drain plug on that side to get as much as possible out before pulling the cooler.

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The steering shaft and frame crossmember are the offending obstructions.
Undoing the two motor mount to frame nuts and lifting the motor up 3" on the drivers side allows the cooler to roll right on out the rear of the motor.
Should take more time to drain fluids than to.e to remove the oil cooler itself.

As stated above, this is the best method I have found. Even laying on the ground during a snow storm!

romulus

Reaction score
its done! i had the steering box removed anyway to install a new one, just moved the steering shaft up out of the way and snaked the cooler out through the fender well. i also removed the shock and shock mount. did not need to remove the manifold or jack up the engine.

i took the cooler tube and spun it up in my lathe to polish the sealing surfaces for the o-rings, used a large woodworking clamp to press the ends on. took me about 2 hrs total. wasn't too difficult all in all, just one heck of a mess.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
I would strongly suggest you have a few extra O-rings on hand when you do the reassembly. I cut two before I got it right. The manual I was using was completely wrong in how it said to reassemble it.

Actually, never mind, looks like you're already done! Good job.

Last edited: