Oil comming from????

IDIn_It

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i got everything done to make my truck run and now oil is leaking from somewhere on the passenger side. Truck starts fine but when it idles for about 2 mins, oil starts leaking. I've converted to electric pump and my block off plate has a good seal on it so i know that's not the issue. Doesn't appear to be leaking from the head either. :dunno In the pic you can see the oil the rest is water.

Attachments

• IMG_20141216_204206.jpg
    IMG_20141216_204206.jpg
    527.6 KB · Views: 88

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks to be in the area below the fuel filter, is your engine pretty dirty because my old engine when it did leak fuel it looked like oil because of how dirty my engine was.

IDIn_It

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its pretty dirty lol. Didn't think to check there. Wouldn't it smell like diesel though?

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would check the lift pump gasket. That was the area that mine leaked at when the lift pump gasket went out. I know you said you blocked it off but its always worth another look. Also check the steel line there in the pic. Its your power steering cooler line. It could be cracked or have a pin hole in it.

Last edited:

IDIn_It

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I first saw the oil, I took the block off plate off and found out I had a little bit of gasket material leftover from removal of my mechanical lift pump. I got it all off and reinstalled the plate with gasket and rtv. After installation, I cranked the truck up and it started to leak again. It wasn't coming from the plate. That was my first instinct.

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might be time to do some cleaning and narrow things down to a source. Only so many places it can come from, but when you can't see it's a guessing game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IDIn_It

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I still have the oil leak and its very aggravating. Me and a friend of mine degreased the passenger side of the engine, cleaned/ resealed the block off plate, and oil is still leaking from who knows where. The front subframe (covered in oil) is in the way and blocking my view. I've used a mirror and a flash light and also my phones video camera....still can't find it. It only happens when the truck starts to warm up. When I'm inspecting the truck while its running, you can see the oil start to go down the sub frame.

IDIn_It

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never mind the sub frame part its the thing with the power steering lines on it.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
ok, where did you get the block off plate? ceirtan plates don't fit out blocks perfectly. there is a notch that sticks out on the block, preventing the plate from going tight against the block all the way around. IIRC it is on the top of the hole but don't hold me to that.

IDIn_It

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it from oriellys. Its the Mr gasket one. I was reading that people had problems with the plate. I installed mine and took my mirror and flash light and inspected it and its flat up against the block.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
only things that could leak oil on pass side of engine are... starting from most likely to least..

fuel pump hole
valve cover gasket
oil pan gasket
dipstick tube
head gasket. there is nothing else on that side.....

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about the rubber fuel line to the original lift pump? Did you replace or reuse? I still wouldn't rule out a fuel leak.

IDIn_It

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All those checked out good. I replaced the rubber hoses coming from the fuel line. Question, is my e- pump supposed to continuously run when the truck is running?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The e pump will run no matter what. I know of a few english electric fuel pumps that run till they make enough pressure. Then they stop running. Austin Healey and Jaguar are a couple of them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.