Oil Change intervals?

cdennyb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you put all those miles on a gas rig and not have major repairs?
Also, just to set the record kinda straight, it's really not oil made from dinos but crushed vegatation. You see, dinos were actually in pretty short supply but the green stuff is actually where majority of the crude stuff comes from. It would take a lot of dinos to make a barrel of crude if that were truely the case. So, next time you see a gasoline ad on TV or in a magazine saying something like "conserving the stuff made from the dinosaurs", you can chuckle a little and just think how gulable people must be.

I wish I could buy synthetic oil for $5.00 a gallon! I'd change it more often even if I didn't really need to. But I guess those fords need more maintenance huh? I run synthetic to help improve my fuel mileage and you can look up the thread on mileage if you're interested in what I get runnin both empty and loaded.

I really didn't think too much about saying something about synthetic, I guess I just assumed it was an open topic and synthetic was an option. I haven't run crude for months and months. The synthetic has much better resistance to coking and oxidation than regular oil does. I figured the turbo was the most delicate component and if it's spinnin hot when I shut it down, the extra protection from the synthetic components in the oil would be put to good use. Also, the synthetic doesn't really "wear out", so running the bypass filter is certainly a benefit to keeping the stuff clean.

Good stuff though, I really like the fact we can argue and discuss this stuff without hurtin anybodys feelings. Do you run synthetic in you other oil assemblies? Like diff and trans?

db

Last edited:

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
How did you put all those miles on a gas rig and not have major repairs?
Also, just to set the record kinda straight, it's really not oil made from dinos but crushed vegatation. You see, dinos were actually in pretty short supply but the green stuff is actually where majority of the crude stuff comes from. It would take a lot of dinos to make a barrel of crude if that were truely the case. So, next time you see a gasoline ad on TV or in a magazine saying something like "conserving the stuff made from the dinosaurs", you can chuckle a little and just think how gulable people must be.

Changed the oil every 3,000 miles!!! :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao No argument there, just easier to say dino than to say "crushed vegatation!"

I wish I could buy synthetic oil for $5.00 a gallon! I'd change it more often even if I didn't really need to. But I guess those fords need more maintenance huh?

Oh, you don't want to get me started on Fords and maintenence, I am not a Ford fan at all and wouldn't own my truck if it had a Ford engine, but then again, I wouldn't have a Dodge with anything but a Cummins either! :rotflmao

I run synthetic to help improve my fuel mileage and you can look up the thread on mileage if you're interested in what I get runnin both empty and loaded.

I can't get it for $5 either, was talking the old fashioned stuff. And yeah, I like synthetic, but you know in these old Fords, they pretty much change the oil themselves! Mine leaks like a fish tank with one side missing, but does what I need it to do. At some point, I will change oil cooler o-rings and valve cover gaskets and run synthetic in it as well. I used to work in a machine shop and saw the results of synthetic first hand in the State Patrol vehicles that were overhauled at certain mileages, regardless of rather they needed it or not and they ALL had to run synthetic in them.

I really didn't think too much about saying something about synthetic, I guess I just assumed it was an open topic and synthetic was an option. I haven't run crude for months and months. The synthetic has much better resistance to coking and oxidation than regular oil does. I figured the turbo was the most delicate component and if it's spinnin hot when I shut it down, the extra protection from the synthetic components in the oil would be put to good use. Also, the synthetic doesn't really "wear out", so running the bypass filter is certainly a benefit to keeping the stuff clean.

On the other hand, I guess I just assumed "crushed vegetation oil" - that's good stuff right there. I agree 100% with it being better, and our conversation would have been different had we both been talking about the same thing I guess. I would look at things different for a synthetic change, but wouldn't push the CVO.

Good stuff though, I really like the fact we can argue and discuss this stuff without hurtin anybodys feelings. Do you run synthetic in you other oil assemblies? Like diff and trans?

db

Yes, I run full synthetic in everything that doesn't leak it out as fast as I can pour it in!!! I ran it in our race engines as well and really never had oil related problems with anything, CVO or synthetic. Yes, it is cool to be able to disagree without wanting to go outside and duke it out...

steved

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't run a cheap oil filter, WIX for the spin on and the 2500 is $20.00-$25.00 by themselves. The oil is certainly not your brand. A full synthetic in a multigrade is at least $17.00 a gallon where I live, and x 3 = $51.00 for just the good oil!
Keep up the cheap changes, I bet prices go up.

db

I run a Mopar filter (which is a rebadged Fleetguard, not a stratopore though)...and actually Wix are not "approved" for use on the CTD...the fleetguard Stratopore is about the best filter you can get for the fullflow filter...and it is marketed (I said marketed, not made!) by Cummins for Cummins...

I never said anything about a synthetic...I run Rotella 15w40, always have and have had really good luck with it...I don't really think you will see a significant benefit of synthetic other than the less frequent changes...I was only making the point that with a bypass and longer drain cycles, you break even more/less.

I run synthetics in everything else...got RP in the tcase (synchromax) and rears (maxgear 85w140); and redline in the tranny (MTL) for now...changing the tranny over to Amsoil MTF when I get my fast coolers...

steved

cdennyb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have any of you guys compared fuelmileage with both the CVO (!!LoL!!) vs the full synthetic stuff?

I gained about 4-5 mpg from the 45000 mile mark to the 100,000 mile mark when I switched over. meaning I was running CVO around the earlier time and the full syn after I got to the 100K mark.

just curious.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
When I switched my daily driver over, I picked up just less than 2 MPG. It was tagged at 24 MPG and I can regularly get 26 highway and if I am really careful, I might break 27. This is a 2.7 gasser though in a 4 wd Santa Fe. I have over 65,000 on it in two years, and have measured about every tank full I put in it. I ran it 10,000 or so (can tell you exactly if it matters, I have it in my log) on CVO, then made the switch to Syntec, 10w30. I used to run the 5w50 syntec and loved it, but they no longer make it. At any rate, I would assume anything could pick up a little extra mileage, but don't think for a minute extended oil changes are the only benefit. I saw state patrol motors come in for their bi-annual engine overhaul and they saw 200,000 miles or so in that amount of time. I was impressed, I remember having to bore one 4.6 engine out of about 20 and it had over 400,000 HARD miles on it. Bearings and cranks and such showed no wear and full synthetic were mandated in this particular area, maybe all posts mandate it, I don't know.

boatelectronicguy

Reaction score
I'm about to do my first oil change, almost 6k. I don't like to push the first change interval too far. I plan to go back with dino, excuse me, CVO 'till I get a few more miles on it. Maybe switch to synthetic around 15k. Any thoughts on switching sooner (or later)? Probably about 20% of those 6k miles are towing. Hope to do more towing (8500lb tag along camper) this fall and winter, as my business is slowing down for the season.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm about to do my first oil change, almost 6k. I don't like to push the first change interval too far. I plan to go back with dino, excuse me, CVO 'till I get a few more miles on it. Maybe switch to synthetic around 15k. Any thoughts on switching sooner (or later)? Probably about 20% of those 6k miles are towing. Hope to do more towing (8500lb tag along camper) this fall and winter, as my business is slowing down for the season.

Sounds like a good plan to me. I don't like to jump into synthetic real early because of break in issues, but I think 5,000 or so would have everything seated, anything after that would be fine.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all this over oil intervals

15k is too far...thats plain and simple, especially with the new cummins affinity for cracking injector o-rings and filling the crankcase with diesel fuel till it pours out of the dipstick tube. it takes MAYBE 15 minutes to change oil on the new cummins. you dont have to remove the intake tube either...buy a 3 dollar filter wrench from the parts store (the end cup style)...everything can be done from underneath. i laugh when i see guys disassembling their trucks to change a filter. either way....i have never run a synthetic oil in a cummins...always 15-40 rotella with a oil filter from the dealer. on mine, i always changed oil at 3k miles, then again, i'd rather be safe than sorry, and oil isnt that much $$ compared to a new engine if something should go wrong.

greengoat

Reaction score
This is my maintenance schedule. Filter at 5k, filter at 10k, oil and filter at 15k and have oil analyzed. Always have good reports on this schedule. Fuel filter at 15k and bhaf change at 50k. This has worked for me for over 400k mi. on a 2nd gen and now on my 3rd gen.

Jim

greengoat

Reaction score
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I use amsoil synthetic 15-40 and fleetguard stratpore filters. Always have.

Jim

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I use amsoil synthetic 15-40 and fleetguard stratpore filters. Always have.

Jim

I have been using Amsoil as well for a while. For some reason, I just never used it in my daily driver, but might just start. They have been making synthetic for a long while and my boss used it exclusively in his Avid STOL airplane with very good results.