Oil Bubbling Head gasket

8seconds

Looking to Modify
Reaction score
After replacing both head gaskets about two months ago and adding a factory turbo soon thereafter and with no more than 1000 miles on motor update.

These were the steps that I took, drained all fluids and then started the chore of removing the heads: 1. due to leaking antifreeze from the driver's rear corner. 2. Motor was experiencing the cuffing noise through the tailpipe (valve guide issue).

Solution: Brought a whole motor for $100.00 and tore the motor down and took the heads for machine work. Purchased new Fel-Pro head gaskets, along with new intake gasket, rebuilt oil cooler, cleaned and replaced oil pan with Ultra Grey sealant. Replaced all lifters, new front seal and timing cover gaskets.

I scrapped and scrapped all old head gasket material and scrubbed with Actetone and a had a gleamy surface to start back with. Laid the new fel-Pro gaskets in and proceeded making sure that I had it lined up with the dowels. Took an exter step to wear latex gloves. Good news more power and no cuffing noise anymore....

As of yesterday, while checking the underside and trying to seal an exhuast leak on my uppipe, I found a droplet of oil and began checking the whole underneath side of the motor, finally I found the source on the outside corner, rear of the driver's side head. Wiping it down, I obeserved a formation of small bubbles coming from the thickness of the gasket. Not the top and not the bottom of the gasket.

Before you all think about boost lifting the heads, I'm only pushing 3 to 5 lbs., but I did reuse the factory bolts.

I've checked the other head gasket with no problems noted.

Question, has anyone experienced this before, if so what did you have to do the correct this. Head gasket replacement, or retorque the head bolts. If I need to replace this gasket, what is the best choice in gaskets and any words of wisdom?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The best gasket several members here like is the Victor Rienz. Then the flepro is a very close second. I read what you posted and what you did but... I didn't read anything about what torque you did or if you bottom tapped the threads in the block. Did you use a lube or anti sieze on the used head bolts. Reuseing the old head bolts is not an issue but most here wont do that.

8seconds

Looking to Modify
Reaction score
I did use the Clifton manual for our trucks, followed it to the Chilton manual 2664 page 3-32 for the IDI, Torque 1st to 65 ft lbs, 2nd torque to 85 ft lbs, 3rd torque to 100,
four torque to 110 ft lbs and 5th torque to 110 ft lbs. I did tap the head bolt holes, but not sure if you would call it a bottom out tap and also die-ed the head bolts themselves, but failed to use lube or anti-sieze on the threads.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you see the oil bubble while the engine was idleing? The rear outer corner of the heads has a coolant passage, not oil. Gotta think the oil came from another area to that spot on the head. Any oil in the coolant, or coolant in the oil? Got a compression tester? Is it running well with no misses? Not puking coolant?

Not a reason to get nervous yet. If it is running good and no mixing liquids/puking liquids............ I'd continue to watch for signs of problems. I'd also check a few used oil analysis samples with the next several oil changes. I've used Blackstone in the past, but CAT, and other places do UOA.

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Without useing an actual bottoming tap your not cleaning all the threads in the bolck. Also not useing any kind of lubricant on the head bolt threads I really feel you do not have the correct torque on the bolts. Did someone tell you there was no need for lube on the bolt threads or did you just do that yourself. ARP Molly lube is about the best lubricant for threaded fasteners. It cuts nearly all the friction between the threads and surfaces. Without lube of some kind you are needing more twisting torque applied to the bolts to reach a value. But that value is not what you want . It will be low every time. ARP Molly lube will get about 99% of the torque applied to the fastener. A 30 wt oil on the same thread bolt will need to be torqued to 130 lbs to reach the 110 lb factory setting. Short of attempting a retorque or pulling each bolt one at a time and lubeing it, then torqueing it down I'm thinking you have some issues coming your way.

8seconds

Looking to Modify
Reaction score
Heath

I have checked the fluids, no mixing of the oil and coolant or coolant and oil, no puking of either one also. Truck cranks with half a key stroke warm or cold. No surging or missing noted. Truck has plenty of power, just don't understand this bubbling oil from the head.

My observation was without the truck running, but will check that this evening and try to take some photos to add. I don't have access to a compression tester, but will also try to locate one.

Question: If the CDR has gone bad, could this add back pressure to the head? I've already got one on its way from Atlanta.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and you never want to run a die on the head bolts , they are rolled threads not cut.

8seconds

Looking to Modify
Reaction score
Heath,

I checked my truck this evening, once I got in from work. Funny thing is, no oil was visible from the head gasket as it was yesterday. Believe I may have the same problem with my oil spending unit location as another member had not long ago......

I'm adding a couple photos, just to show my ignorance!!!!!

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of re-using the bolts. Also, and I stress this in the strongest language possible.... get your torque wrench calibrated! A torque wrench does NOT maintain it's calibration for very long. I ALWAYS send my wrench out to TeamTorque.com along with a note stating I will be looking for 100% accuracy at whatever your final torque value is just before doing a head gasket job. If you just grabbed your trusty torque wrench that you have been using for years without giving it a thought, I'm afraid you would be disappointed to learn that your attempts to be dead on were quite futile.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, I don't think your headgasket is the problem at all. That appears to be running down from above. Can't tell you the source (LOL) but, I'd start looking at the oil galley plug, oil senders, turbo, and what have you for the leak.

Heath

Last edited:

8seconds

Looking to Modify
Reaction score
Thanks for the words of wisdom Agnem, I've read the horror stories and heard others talk about calibrating their torque wrenches. I know that a new one can have problems right out of the gate.... I'll have to get it checked.....

Heath, since it was raining here yesterday evening, I wasn't able to track down the culprit of the leak, but do feel stupid for not searching more on Sunday evening. As you feel, I do believe it has something to do with the top oil gallery, since that is the location for my oil feed for the turbo that I installed last month.

Hopefully nothing happens this evening that I can't do a more detail search. Oh by the way UK did well on their game......

As always I appreciate the assistance!!!!!

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh by the way UK did well on their game......

Yeah, I'm real proud of them. What a talented group of young men. Anthony Davis is a remarkable player. Hard to believe he just turned 18. Too bad he and several other members of the team are headed for the NBA. I would love for them to stay at UK for three more years.

Heath