offroading/mudding questions

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for all the info guys. I like the tip to go with the back end first...actually I like Al's 'let the other guy get stuck first' logic more:p haha

From what I can tell axle wrap is when the axle tilts? That must be ******* the driveshaft is there a way to know if it has already happened? I kno the blocks need to go, what i want to do is get a full suspension lift (4'' maybe) from fleebay or something to have a legitimate lift but that will have to wait until I have the extra cash for it.

On the rear it has one of those hidden hitch deals and i have a trailer hitch on it, but for the front i do not have anything. So I was thinking of using two slings i think there called(loop looking things rated a t 6000lbs) and putting those around the front bumper mounts, then I have a tow rop with loops on both ends rated at 10klbs that i would feed through those loops. What do you guys think of that?

As for the tires i have 33" bfg km2s i am told they are good for 4x4ing. Right now i have fronts at 50 and rears at 80 as per the door sticker.

Jason, what do you mean by lock one hub? Does that give you 3wd?...thanks for your input I personally am a fan from learning from other people who are more experienced in whatever it is im doing then trying it myself and using there input/

Al, I have seen pictures of people going bals out through water and making massive waves, ive always wondered how they dont get water in there intake like that.

I hear ya on that one I never go quadding or snowmobiling myself either. haha ya thatd make the wrong first impression :p lol

Are these vent tubes just like vent tubes on a small engine carb? Ill have to look that up in my manual to see where they are...what does dilligaf mean?. That reminds me ill have to learn how to use my old mans come along! lol I will bring shovels, gum boots (anyone else here not able to drive stick with gum boots?)

Thanks for the tip jasper i will google that :)

And thanks again guys....earlier when ob was down i had to resort to youtube videos of idis:p haha

You running loaded? 80 psi is quite a bit for just cruisin around... I'm at 44 all the way around if I'm empty.

bobracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No im not running loaded do you think dropping them to 50 would be good then? (my hs mechanics teacher always told me to go by what the door sticker says for psi), and Al thanks for all those links!! :D. Mine is exactly like that a recovery, actually i got it from pa to lol

And I will def not do any trespassing thats for sure!

Leeland, I just want to prove that guy wrong lol. As for ratio i believe 3.55 and yes n/a

Dam, and i thought i got a deal on them. (got them used for a season for $800, i thought that was resonable since the guy got them on for 1200). I will look up a club on bc4x4. Okay i suppose i could pull the old ones of then take them to napa and get the same tubing just longer?

Do you dd your truck with 38s gonecrazy? I see you used f450 springs did you have to use anything else to get it up that high?

Ah so your the guy with the badass beard :p lol, that was the video I was talking about earlier. Would it be a good idea to try and stay out of those ruts going up that hill? Or were they impossible to stay out of with the clay? I usually do the turning the wheels thing and through my body around in my quad when im stuck are about to get stuck. I never thought of doing that with my truck.....isnt it really ******* the front end?

Lol a poorly tuned 304 :p haha. That was cool how you got through that, i would thought you were stuck when you first stopped

Arent those jack all things really dangerous? we have on in the garage but my dad told me never to use it b/c it is unpredicatable.

That is a good tip Travis!

lol dilligaf thats a good one

Front tow hooks have suddenly jumped ot the top of my priority list haha

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No im not running loaded do you think dropping them to 50 would be good then? (my hs mechanics teacher always told me to go by what the door sticker says for psi), and Al thanks for all those links!! :D. Mine is exactly like that a recovery, actually i got it from pa to lol

And I will def not do any trespassing thats for sure!

Leeland, I just want to prove that guy wrong lol. As for ratio i believe 3.55 and yes n/a

Dam, and i thought i got a deal on them. (got them used for a season for $800, i thought that was resonable since the guy got them on for 1200). I will look up a club on bc4x4. Okay i suppose i could pull the old ones of then take them to napa and get the same tubing just longer?

Do you dd your truck with 38s gonecrazy? I see you used f450 springs did you have to use anything else to get it up that high?

Ah so your the guy with the badass beard :p lol, that was the video I was talking about earlier. Would it be a good idea to try and stay out of those ruts going up that hill? Or were they impossible to stay out of with the clay? I usually do the turning the wheels thing and through my body around in my quad when im stuck are about to get stuck. I never thought of doing that with my truck.....isnt it really ******* the front end?

Lol a poorly tuned 304 :p haha. That was cool how you got through that, i would thought you were stuck when you first stopped

Arent those jack all things really dangerous? we have on in the garage but my dad told me never to use it b/c it is unpredicatable.

That is a good tip Travis!

lol dilligaf thats a good one

Front tow hooks have suddenly jumped ot the top of my priority list haha

The tag in the door says 44 psi front/80 rear but there's almost 1,000 lbs less weight on the back when you're empty (At least the way I'm set up). You have to remember that the door tag is recommended pressure when loaded cookoo I set mine with tire profile ;Sweet

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The tag in the door says 44 psi front/80 rear but there's almost 1,000 lbs less weight on the back when you're empty (At least the way I'm set up). You have to remember that the door tag is recommended pressure when loaded cookoo I set mine with tire profile ;Sweet

Same....Profile and how tread wears is what's most important.

I use chalk to determine best pressure. when it wears off evenly...it's the right pressure for me! If I add weight, I re chalk and raise pressure accordingly! Offers best steering and braking and tyre wear if inflated correctly not to mention ride! OMG I would hate to think of my tyres at 80PSI rear...

Takes time to learn all those intricacies...

Oh BTW

Yer teacher for shop..is playing it safe by touting mantra about stock pressures....not wanting to be accountable for any non stock recommendation

Al

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI in dire straights the rear bumpstop brackets can be used are recovery points. A hook just barely fits. Snatching from these points is not recommended, I have seen them ripped off.

I have seen E4ODs puke after overheating because they are in HI range climbing hills or rocks consecutively. I only use high if low doesn't get the job done.
FYI, that winch posted above is just a rebranded Tmax/Superwinch. The same thing can be had on Ebay for half the price. FYI the HF winch is very similar. The only thing that varies is the gearbox ratio and motor size. Usually 6.5hp or 6hp. I've seen Version from 8klb up to 20klb and the only difference is a lot more gear reduction on the 20klb winch. This also maxes it only pull at 2FPM at max load. Pretty damn slow.

General consensus is to be preapred to recover 3x the weight of your vehicle.

EDIT:High lifts are pretty dangerous. You just have to be very cautious when using them.

As for cutting the wheel back and forth not be easy, taking the truck wheelin isn't exactly easy on it!

Last edited:

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes I am the bearded guy. Lol as for staying out of the ruts, really couldn't. Everyone needed a little momentum to get up that

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice, the longest I've kept mine was 3 months. Then I had to (the gf made me) shave it haha.

I shall take some pics whenever I do get out and go mudding, im excited to put all this info to use

jasonhughes

Reaction score
Anything can fit with a little welding love. But as is...kinda doubt it. Probably wont match uo with your frame rails

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Buy it with winch...I can fab up brackets for that IN NO time...down here! I'm making brackets for my truck for same basic bumper the one with the big hoops on it! Some good 1/4" plate to your frame and we are golden! bout two hours work I figure...we can mod bumper to fit shape of front, or have someone else do it.

Contact them see if sold and what size winch is....

Let me know and we can talk on phone to further discuss this, you've got my #

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Be thankful you have a D50 front! I can break the 44TTB in front of mine on demand when I'm offroad. I have a D50TTB contraption in my mud truck and it has never had a problem up to 38.5x16 TSLs. In low speed stuff I use 1-3rd low range, never had a problem starting in 3rd. When I need wheel speed its 2nd gear HI, I have a very quick spooling turbo setup so results may vary. My biggest piece of advice, dont wheel your daily driver, its more trouble than its worth most times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online