OEM vs. aftermarket throttle cable

rjglenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did a search & got lots of unrelated results.

I have to replace my throttle cable. The red plastic sleeve has broken off and the inner sleeve catches on it, so I'm governered at about 1500 RPM. The OEM cable is $95, but I see on autozone that they have one for about $20. In you all's experience, is the OEM the trouble free way to go (the old one lasted for 21 years) or will the aftermarket one work okay? I know that cheaper isn't always better, but sometimes it's just as good.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's hard to tell with aftermarket stuff. Some of it's complete junk and some is as good as OEM.

If it's sold by autozone it's more likely on the junk end of the spectrum.

Rockauto has one for ~$35 - Dorman brand which is usually pretty good. That's what I'd get.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had a napa and an az and a ford side by side, it appeARS THEY ARE FROM THE SAME FACTORY. sorry for the caps, fat fingers

8seconds

Looking to Modify
Reaction score
Which ever one you try, just make sure it is the same length and attachment points are correct. Ask me how I know. I tried one from Auto Zone and Napa. Both being to long and caused the cable to not retract. Apparently there were several different cables made for our trucks, the one that stands out right now was my truck has cruise control. I finally gave up and bite the bullet and went with the Ford part.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Had an autozone cable, just paid for the Ford one to go in. The aftermarket one like mentioned only gave about half throttle.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an autozone throttle cable as well. It worked great for about a year then it started to stretch. I was only getting about 3/4 throttle unless i really stomped on it. So I put a spacer where it connects to the gas pedal and also took out that awful stiff IP spring and replaced it with a smaller one. Now I get full throttle with much less effort at the gas pedal. I would also recommend just going with a dealership throttle cable.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
My experience was the aftermarket one fit and worked, but had way too much "stiction" and was very tiresome to drive. So it is an emergency spare now and a Ford one brought it back to pure pleasure to drive.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a rule of thumb to go by as to when the cable should be replaced, or is it a 'if it aint broke dont fix it' type deal

metalminded

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a rule of thumb to go by as to when the cable should be replaced, or is it a 'if it aint broke dont fix it' type deal

I to would like to know as i am new to my truck and cant tell if thats how its always been or if replacing it would change things... though i guess the only way to tell would be to try it...

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
For me deciding if I should worry about my throttle cable would go like this: Does it get full throttle now? Does it stick or bind? Is the sleeve on the end broken? Are any cable strands frayed where you can see them? If no to the above you are probably good to go, but I have a spare because driving without a cable is fun (NOT).

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if the pedal is really stiff/sticky with the spring off the pump lever, the inner cable is starting to cut thru the liner, in 2 weeks it will break.
Lets just say bosses never listen to the voice of experience.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
I will not put another parts chain throttle cable in my truck, I have been through 4 so far and all of them never got me full travel out of the ip until I space them with bite weights

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online