7.3 idi throttle Cable

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the Green machine badly need a throttle cable as the sleeved guide tube under the spring is gone . I found one At local NAPA or i can order the NOS OEM part # F1TZ-9A758-E . I am tired of poor aftermarket parts that it either doesn't work for long or doesn't fit and you have to home rig it to do.

Is the Napa cable is the right length , right set up as i did not see it in person or should i order the OEM one and be done

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Specify you have a turbo also. The throttle cable has to be routed around it.

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes the cable is already routed , Just trying to avoid buying junk parts and do the work twice , NAPA show ther cable length as 36".6 . I did not pull the one out the truck yet . So i figured to check here 1st

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cpdenton

I 2nd that ,i am going the same route . Plug and play and no need to rig slack up or deal with returns as am going thru the same ordeal with the reseal kit i bough from the local **** part store .

On a side note i see your sig with ZF5 conversion .. :sly I was really considering this conversion my self when i dropped my E4od to get the front seal repaired .What is involves .

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Manual swap consisted of a few things.

Pedal set. All OBS body styles will work. 92-96. Even down to an f150.

You need a master cylinder and slave cylinder from a zf5. I had a line and sourced new mc and sc for it.

Transmission of course.

You need the floor hump pan that goes over the trans, or be willing to cut a hole in the one you have. I cut the one I had.

Crossmember is nice to have, but I used the crossmember I had and drilled a new mounting hole.

I reworked my front half of the original driveshaft to fit. Involved re-tubing to add 8 inches and fitting all the proper u-joints. I had to use a conversion u-joint in the front yoke off the transmission. My shaft had 1330 size caps and the trans has 1350 size caps. Not a real problem though.

Easiest thing to do is find a truck that has all you need and swap steal all the parts from it.

You also have to get up under the truck and wire two wires together for the neutral safety over ride, and wire in the plug for the back up lights. I can point you to the right wire colors if you do this. You could also get the whole transmission harness off a parts truck too. Unbolt your harness and swap in the manual harness.

Any diesel zf5 from 87 to 97 will work as well. Mine is off a 96 power stroke engine.

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
;Sweet I am keeping my eyes open for a local donor So i can collect all what i need to do it when time comes. Does the ZF5 must come from a Diesel or gasser will do as well

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^^ Hydraulics, you can get a pre-buit pre-bled master-line-slave kit, if you don't have a complete donor truck. Goes in WAAAAY easier, about the same price (if not cheaper) as buying separate, no bleeding. If you use a donor, DO NOT take apart the hydraulics. Remove from the firewall and tranny, keep the master above the slave, and transfer from the donor to the project truck as an assembly.

Pigtail for the reverse light switch is a cheeeeap (like $5-ish) part at RockAuto.

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cpdenton
do you have any pic of the set up during and after the project is complete

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No I don't have any pictures. Did it before I joined this site. My truck actually had a c6 cobbled in it when I bought it.

Oh, I forgot to add, you need a clutch! I bought a single mass conversion clutch kit and it came with all the bolts you need to install it.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Definitely want to go OEM throttle cables if they're available. The aftermarket ones are not built to last like the OEM.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Napa cable and fords cable are made in same factory.At least the 3 ive used. 92 up is different.

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes i agree .. Some times the aftermarket not the best way to go ask me how i know . I ordered the OEM cable and it should be here some times .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online