OBS Intercooler Install

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Finally got around to installing the I/C behind the grill. Haven't done the tubes yet. Heres some pictures:

Attachments

• P1010001a.JPG
    P1010001a.JPG
    283.7 KB · Views: 106
  • P1010002a.JPG
    P1010002a.JPG
    706.3 KB · Views: 92
  • P1010005.JPG
    P1010005.JPG
    738 KB · Views: 85
  • P1010010a.JPG
    P1010010a.JPG
    705.5 KB · Views: 87
  • P1010011a.JPG
    P1010011a.JPG
    684.8 KB · Views: 96
  • P1010012a.JPG
    P1010012a.JPG
    703.9 KB · Views: 86
  • P1010013.JPG
    P1010013.JPG
    635.6 KB · Views: 123
  • P1010017.JPG
    P1010017.JPG
    535.1 KB · Views: 101
  • P1010018.JPG
    P1010018.JPG
    511.5 KB · Views: 94
  • P1010020.JPG
    P1010020.JPG
    411.8 KB · Views: 93

zpd307

Reaction score
anybody want one, i just got done doing the 6.0 intercooler swap on my 99. so i have all aluminum 99 intercooler left over....

did you get a early 99 spider? what did you use for the pipes? i see a guy on ebay is fabbing some up for the swap.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I do have an early 99 spider already. I was gonna make my pipes from scratch. Maybe 16-18 gauge 3" pipe. Would love to find a set of OEM tubes for cheap & cut & re-clock them to fit right by adding a little metal here & there. That would give me all the factory ends on the tubes to match the boots. I've heard you can spot weld around the end of the tub to help keep the boots on so if I don't find some OEM tubes, that's the plan.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
scott-
thanks for the pics. I like your lower brackets;Sweet
+1 on that!

How much space is there between the front of the intercooler and the back of the grille? And, for that matter, how much space is there behind the intercooler? Do you think the intercooler could be moved further aft (i.e. closer to the radiator) if the a/c condenser wasn't there, or is there something else keeping it from going further aft?

I ask because I'm preparing to do an install very similar to yours (including swapping to an OBS front clip), but I want to relocate the a/c condenser so that it's forward of the intercooler...would love to get an idea of how much space I'm going to have to play with. I've got a few ideas on this, actually... :sly

Thank you! ;Sweet looks very good!!

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not having taken a close look at a PSD, how far off are the turbo outlet and intake nipples compared to an IDI? ...I wonder if one or both of those could be made to work (since it sounds like he's making them and has more than just this one set)...?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not having taken a close look at a PSD, how far off are the turbo outlet and intake nipples compared to an IDI? ...I wonder if one or both of those could be made to work (since it sounds like he's making them and has more than just this one set)...?
you don't have it so easy.-cuss

zpd307

Reaction score
yeah, it sounds like this guy has made up jigs for his pipes, he has had several pipes for sale recently. i just put a watch on it to see what people are willing to pay for them. i looked and looked for the best way to route intercooler pipes on the 90 i had, and there just doesnt seem to be a good way to do it. something always seems to be in the way....

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, it sounds like this guy has made up jigs for his pipes, he has had several pipes for sale recently. i just put a watch on it to see what people are willing to pay for them. i looked and looked for the best way to route intercooler pipes on the 90 i had, and there just doesnt seem to be a good way to do it. something always seems to be in the way....
i look at it this way....
he did his homework and should be rewarded for it.;Sweet
i know the mentality of "gotta beat the last buck of a deal" of most, in these economic times, I really can't blame most. But on the flip side, do you think that mentality will encourage R&D in the IDI world? I spent a few years buying up every ATS 093 kit that was reasonably priced so that I have spare parts for my trucks. what I have an excess of is factory outlet turbos and one aftermarket outlet. I have four friends( at least I think they are) who are looking to get rid of the hit-n-runover pipe they have and get a properly built downpipe. It's not easy tearing a body off a chassis and destroying a perfectly good running truck so I can duplicate a pipe properly. It's going to be a limited run item built just for those who I know locally. Why? I really don't want to deal with the ******** that the chiselers bring along. if they want to complain about the cost, they can go **** them selves as far as I care.;Sweet

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you don't have it so easy.-cuss
I had a feeling as much, but figured it couldn't hurt to ask :(

I have four friends( at least I think they are) who are looking to get rid of the hit-n-runover pipe they have and get a properly built downpipe. It's not easy tearing a body off a chassis and destroying a perfectly good running truck so I can duplicate a pipe properly.
I think I know where this is gong :sly :angel: :hail

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online