OBS cruise control quit

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope your cruise starts working again tomorrow. Mine is that way. It will work for months, then quit half way through a road trip. Some times its out for a half hour, sometimes for couple of days. I haven't looked into it, because it works more than it doesn't.

I always hate stuff like that. It'll work fine long enough for me to completely forget and then stop at the most inopportune time.

Cruise is nice and all, but what's wrong with your right foot?;PokeLOL

I'll back him up on this, I can do just fine without cruise but that trip to visit Wes I was REALLY wishing I had cruise. Especially when we left Texas and went straight through to Gatlinburg.

No he doesn't need it, but you don't need AC either LOL

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wiper switch can be cleaned by popping off the little black end cap, removing the screw and purging all the junk out from the little spring loaded ball and speed detents.

The cruise recall is not an entire harness or switch replacement. They add an inline fuse.

I would check the connection on the rear vss, the cruise control motor assy and the buttons on the steering wheel.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The wiper switch can be cleaned by popping off the little black end cap, removing the screw and purging all the junk out from the little spring loaded ball and speed detents.

The cruise recall is not an entire harness or switch replacement. They add an inline fuse.

I would check the connection on the rear vss, the cruise control motor assy and the buttons on the steering wheel.

Thanks! I was about to ask for common failure points in the cruise control system before resorting to the diagnostic protocol.
I took apart the wiper multi-switch when I first got the truck. It returned the functionality of the intermittent feature.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the hours I have had behind the wheel thinking about this issue, I have come up with two possibilities:
1. dirt in the contacts of the on off switch on the wheel,
2. excessive drag in the servo motor causing it to overheat.

I am leaning toward number 1 because I can't tie function to duration of use, some days it doesn't work cold.

Not trying to hijack the thread, just give you some options.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the hours I have had behind the wheel thinking about this issue, I have come up with two possibilities:
1. dirt in the contacts of the on off switch on the wheel,
2. excessive drag in the servo motor causing it to overheat.

I am leaning toward number 1 because I can't tie function to duration of use, some days it doesn't work cold.

Not trying to hijack the thread, just give you some options.

No hijack at all, thanks for the insight.
Gotta laugh, as a machine head, I often ponder things mechanical or electro-mechanical when driving. Sometimes about whatever I happen to be driving, often times about some other unrelated device. I wonder what "normal" people think about...

jrollf

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If the switch shows signs of leaking, it has to be replaced under the recall along with the addition of the fuse. If no apparent leaking they just add the fuse.

1993 F350 Crew Cab Dually
XLT
7.3 Factory IDIT w/Banks Sidewinder
5spd Manual

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '94 idi turbo has a wiring harness near the master cylinder with additional fuse holders in it. The fuse were taped shut and had 2 amp fuses in them. One of the 2 amp fuses was blown and you might also desire to remove, clean and grease the frame grounds at least in the engine bay. Front left and right and rear right as seen from the drivers seat. Errant voltages can blow that fuse.
AS for not holding, I haven't figured that one out yet.
I know it won't hold with 35 MPH head winds and 75 MPH,
But it does seem to work at lower speeds.
Slow down? whu?
Knee problems make cruise nice.

centennial60

Reaction score
I noticed on my 93 crewcab that it still had the original cruise release brake switch. I wanted to get it replaced before something happened even though it was functioning correctly. I bought this kit that consisted of a jumper and new switch.

Motorcraft SW6350 Brake Repair Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IYLZDO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_DVJKDb23VFKXR

I think this is the latest iteration of the cruise switch recall. Not saying that this is your problem but it might be worth performing if nothing has been done with it yet.

Ayla

Reaction score
Hey all, the cruise control on my '94 stopped working. If I'm not imaging it, it seemed like it was having a hard time holding the set speed on a few occasions before it quit completely. Any ideas on where to start looking?

Ayla

Reaction score
The "clock spring" in your steering column behind the steering wheel needs to be replaced. rockauto.com part number - WVE/AIRTEX/WELLS 8G1031. $165.00 plus shipping

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My gut says it's the easiest part to replace or repair.

Your brake switch is either loose, mis-adjusted, or is going bad, internally.

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm probably only one on here don't need a wood block under there..... already got too much dirt n trash floatin round in the floorboard & under the peddles! :eek::oops::rolleyes:
Word to the wise... Do NOT take your cat on cold days in the truck with you! The pedal area is close to both you and the warmth of the engine.

It's bad enough to have crap you thought you had safely stashed under the seat wander under there...you know, like that last can of beer which you unintentionally open, warm and well shaken, in a most unusual manner with the brake pedal, while trying to avoid someone who pulled a fast one right in front of you.

Speaking from experience here...

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Word to the wise... Do NOT take your cat on cold days in the truck with you! The pedal area is close to both you and the warmth of the engine.
Poor kitty! Mine are so spoiled that I don't even take them out of the house if it's long sleeve weather. Yes they are strictly house cats.