Cruise Control issues

1983idi

Reaction score
My 84 had the cruise control disabled when I got it. The previous owner had one side of the speedo cable go bad and replaced it with a single piece cable. I got the correct cables needed and installed them hoping the cruise would just work but unfortunaly it does not. I have been trying to go through the wiring and figure out what has power but it seems like there is voltage at almost every connector on the cruise module (Connectors C-717 & C-714) I also am getting positive voltage to both the Blue and Yellow wires that run to the horn pad.

Is there always power running out of the C-714 connectors to the cruise servo even without cruise on?

Does the cruise light come on when you hit the on button on the steering wheel or does it come on when cruise is set?

Does anyone have a decent wiring diagram of the cruise control circuit. All I have is a Hayes manual and the is no information for troubleshooting or the details on the internal workings of the cruise module (amplifier) or cruise servo.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 3 files for the cruise control that member gandalf sent me.
PM your email address if you want me to send those to you.

Olds64

Reaction score
Check it out. Here's a great page on troubleshooting the speed control on your Bullnose truck:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online