OBD1 not pulling codes

chumwon

Reaction score
Hello, I recently purchased this truck and wanted to check it's codes since it has an intermediate check engine light but when I went did my usual technique with a test light it doesn't flash just stays soild with no blinking. I'm afraid I'll be tracing alot of wires and wondered if anyone has an idea or had to tackle this problem before.

Thanks everyone!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You can't do that on these trucks.
Doesn't work.

Does the temp gauge shoot up at the same time?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

chumwon

Reaction score
No temp stays normal. I've done it this way on my 92 idi. I assumed that's the only way to do it on obd1 but at this point I'll start with anything instead of chasing wires.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only thing that has codes to read on these trucks is the transmission control unit. There is no engine computer at all, thus, no engine codes.

From what I remember, only thing that will turn on th CEL is an over temp situation(which would peg the temp gauge) or a low oil pressure situation. Any transmission codes would actually cause the overdrive light to flash, not the check engine.

What year truck and what transmission?

chumwon

Reaction score
It's a 94 with an e4od. The oil pressure gauge is much lower then I'd like it be but I've been told there more like a warning light.. I just can't understand why the obd1 makes my test light stay on but not flash. I would think if something was wrong in the wiring it wouldn't light up at all?..thanks again

chumwon

Reaction score
Yes sir, double an triple checked just because I thought I may have made a mistake hooking it up out in the single digit temps!

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't bother with that. The Check Engine light has to be purely mechanically driven; as said, it's probably tied to switches for oil pressure and engine temp. There is no EEC-anything. Also as said, that connector is only for transmission codes. Your best bet is to get the factory service manuals for the truck, including the EVTM (electrical & vacuum troubleshooting manual). That will tell you how the CE light is wired, where the switches are that trigger it, and you can troubleshoot from there. 'Course, some kindly member with an EVTM might scan and post the appropriate pages....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online