O/D OFF light flashing... again... please read.

discbrks

Reaction score
You might be right. The sensor "eye" is smaller on the new part. Getting too dark to mess with now. I'll resume in the morning.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chances are pretty good that you are making metal in the diff. Those metal particles are laying in the oil, when you drive the diff gear stirs up the oil and "slings metal" along with the oil. The magnet on the VSS catches the metal chips, which short out the signal for a bit, after you drive a while, the chips get washed off the VSS and amazingly, the signal is restored and it all works normal.

Drop the oil out of the diff, run a magnet in the bottom of the diff and "collect" all the chips and fine wear particles. Replace with clean oil... you should be good for a good long while.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Orrrr..... you could just mount a monster honking magnet to the bottom of the diff case and hold the flakes and chunks in place... ;)

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Chances are pretty good that you are making metal in the diff. Those metal particles are laying in the oil, when you drive the diff gear stirs up the oil and "slings metal" along with the oil. The magnet on the VSS catches the metal chips, which short out the signal for a bit, after you drive a while, the chips get washed off the VSS and amazingly, the signal is restored and it all works normal.

Drop the oil out of the diff, run a magnet in the bottom of the diff and "collect" all the chips and fine wear particles. Replace with clean oil... you should be good for a good long while.

X-2

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A speaker magnet works great for most anything but... Be careful you don't have any part of youself under the magnet... They are big and powerful....:eek:

discbrks

Reaction score
Well, I have a new VSS installed. Pulled the diff cover and cleaned inside with 3 cans of brake kleen. You could eat off the ring & pinion. I made sure to clean all the nooks & cranny's that I could find too. Filled up w/ 3 quarts of 80/90 and one 7 oz bottle of limited slip additive. Went down the road just fine. About 3 miles into the trip it started all over again.... O/D light flashing and shifting all crazy. I was a mile from work so I limped there. Pulled the codes again... code 29. I'm at a loss. The reluctor ring looked perfect - no sharp edges - all teeth nice & round.

Any suggestions?

Talking w/ a guy here at work, he suggested that the bearings for the diff carrier could be worn letting the carrier (and the reluctor ring) slide from side to side, thus making the ring get out of range with the sensor. Sound feasible? Anyone seen this?