O/D light flashing...firm shifts, jumpy speedo

clp13294

Reaction score
i ran codes on an EEC IV tester and just got 5 blinks which indicates the number 5. this doesnt seem right at all, usually its a double digit number. but then again i have never pulled codes on a diesel truck with no ECM. i noticed the od light stops blinking when the tester is plugged in but as soon as i unplug it the light starts blinking again which makes me think the tranny KNOWS somethings wrong and its not just a wire shorting out, however i will look into the harness. @flareside i dont throw parts at things hoping it will fix the issues. only reason i replaced it was because it looked old and people told me to start there, i knew that there was about a 15% chance of that part fixing my problem. But i will go out and check on the trans harness now and see what i can come up with. thanks again for all the help

clp13294

Reaction score
checked out the tranny harness and it checks out ok. i did notice when turning the truck around that there was no hesitation going into reverse, usually when i put it in reverse it legitimately takes 10 seconds for it to finally engage.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
checked out the tranny harness and it checks out ok. i did notice when turning the truck around that there was no hesitation going into reverse, usually when i put it in reverse it legitimately takes 10 seconds for it to finally engage.

i have been told that delayed engagement is a sticking boost valve inside the tranny.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i ran codes on an EEC IV tester and just got 5 blinks which indicates the number 5. this doesnt seem right at all, usually its a double digit number. but then again i have never pulled codes on a diesel truck with no ECM. i noticed the od light stops blinking when the tester is plugged in but as soon as i unplug it the light starts blinking again which makes me think the tranny KNOWS somethings wrong and its not just a wire shorting out, however i will look into the harness. @flareside i dont throw parts at things hoping it will fix the issues. only reason i replaced it was because it looked old and people told me to start there, i knew that there was about a 15% chance of that part fixing my problem. But i will go out and check on the trans harness now and see what i can come up with. thanks again for all the help

after you got the 5 blinks did it pause and then start to blink again while yo still had the reader plugged in? that is how the codes are displayed.
ex: 2 blinks--pause--3 blinks= code 23=TPS signal out of range. I would try to scan it again and see what happens.
What kind of code reader do you have. i think for the OBD 1 systems the reader has to be compatable with the vehicle, not just obd1 compatable and have te same connector.

You also have to follow the directions for code retreval to a "T" or you will get a bunch of codes that mean nothing and they just end up confusing you.

clp13294

Reaction score
so would the OD light blink as a result of that part failing? its weird that the transmission is more responsive with a blinking OD light. it was slow as hell to get into reverse before the light came on. i tried unplugging the tps but the light is still flashing.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
so would the OD light blink as a result of that part failing? its weird that the transmission is more responsive with a blinking OD light. it was slow as hell to get into reverse before the light came on. i tried unplugging the tps but the light is still flashing.

i am not sure about the od light=part failing. it could be. i know mine does the same delayed thing but not no 10 sec like you describe.
I would bet that there is no delay in reverse engagment when the light is flashing b/c when you are in limp mode the line pressure is raised higher than normal therefore compensating for the sticking boost valve.

I am no tranny expert so somone correct me if i am wrong but with the little i know it makes sense.

have you checked the conodition and level of your tranny fluid yet with the tranny warmed up?

clp13294

Reaction score
after you got the 5 blinks did it pause and then start to blink again while yo still had the reader plugged in? that is how the codes are displayed.
ex: 2 blinks--pause--3 blinks= code 23=TPS signal out of range. I would try to scan it again and see what happens.
What kind of code reader do you have. i think for the OBD 1 systems the reader has to be compatable with the vehicle, not just obd1 compatable and have te same connector.

You also have to follow the directions for code retreval to a "T" or you will get a bunch of codes that mean nothing and they just end up confusing you.

im sorry i probably i didnt explain myself as i should have. i used to use this reader all the time on my foxbody so i am familiar with how the code readouts are displayed. what i ment to say was that the light blinked 5 times, and nothing after that. usually for example it will blink 3 times, pause then blink say 4 more times which would indicate code number 34. i had tried it 3 times. i just plugged the reader in, started the truck and the reader blinked 5 times and that was the end of it, it did that every time. the scanner is an actron CP9015 and on the book it just says for domestic ford, lincoln and mercury.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
im sorry i probably i didnt explain myself as i should have. i used to use this reader all the time on my foxbody so i am familiar with how the code readouts are displayed. what i ment to say was that the light blinked 5 times, and nothing after that. usually for example it will blink 3 times, pause then blink say 4 more times which would indicate code number 34. i had tried it 3 times. i just plugged the reader in, started the truck and the reader blinked 5 times and that was the end of it, it did that every time. the scanner is an actron CP9015 and on the book it just says for domestic ford, lincoln and mercury.

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. Does it specifically say it will work with your truck? i know the one that you can get from oreilys for $30 says '94 ford truck but it will not work with a '94 7.3L IDI.

clp13294

Reaction score
the book doesnt say anything specific, it just says for use with vehicles that have EEC IV engine computer control systems. so to be honest i dont think this scanner is compatible with the truck, i think the scanner is more oriented for ECM codes rather then vehicle codes in general.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
the book doesnt say anything specific, it just says for use with vehicles that have EEC IV engine computer control systems. so to be honest i dont think this scanner is compatible with the truck, i think the scanner is more oriented for ECM codes rather then vehicle codes in general.

That might be your problem. might be worth it to take the truck to a tranny shop that has the right scanner.

clp13294

Reaction score
yeah thats the next step for sure. the tranny has a leak and a half so i might just drop it off and say fix the leak and fix the light and be done with it. thing shutters like a SOB once it gets to OD too, oh well. Aamco here i come!

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck with AAMCO. Your warranty if they have to rebuild the tranny and they will say it needs a new one whether it actually does or not will be 12,000 miles. The only thing I would use them for is to have them read the codes.

If the trannny needs any internal work and if the torque converter is bad it more than likely will, you would be better off dealing with a reputable independent shop in your area. A good independent shop will give a much higher mileage warranty and will also have a network of independent shops who will do the warranty work if needed.

Also if the torque converter is shuttering it sounds as though it will need to be replaced. If that is the case your butter off with a triple disc converter.

You might look into these guys which are way cheaper than BTS if you need a torque converter.

http://tpiconverters.com/converters/diesel-towing/

clp13294

Reaction score
aint that the truth! hopefully once i get it repaired i can get a full season of plowing out of it and make some damn money off this thing! thankyou for all your help sir i really appreciate it.

clp13294

Reaction score
Good luck with AAMCO. Your warranty if they have to rebuild the tranny and they will say it needs a new one whether it actually does or not will be 12,000 miles. The only thing I would use them for is to have them read the codes.

If the trannny needs any internal work and if the torque converter is bad it more than likely will, you would be better off dealing with a reputable independent shop in your area. A good independent shop will give a much higher mileage warranty and will also have a network of independent shops who will do the warranty work if needed.

Also if the torque converter is shuttering it sounds as though it will need to be replaced. If that is the case your butter off with a triple disc converter.

You might look into these guys which are way cheaper than BTS if you need a torque converter.

http://tpiconverters.com/converters/diesel-towing/

i will probably have aamco pull some codes but regardless the tranny needs to go in a shop. i will probably scope around and look for a reputable shop near by. do you happen to know if transmission shops work on transfer cases as well? i only have 2hi and 4hi, no 4low:(