NV4500 5th gear not working

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Well today on my way home from work I was just cruising along on the highway with the cruise set and all of a sudden I started loosing speed, I looked down to see the cruise had kicked off. So I pressed on the go pedal only to find out that it just revs up like in neutral :eek: -cuss So that tells me that 5th gear fell off.

Ok boys who's got an idiots guide to fixing my problem?

Now you must understand that I'm not looking to rebuild it totally just put the gear back on. I mean if it lasted 218k miles then it should last me for as long as I'm gonna own her (30k more max).

Also can I get away with just accessing the gear, nut and shaft from the PTO cover or am I gonna have to yank the tranny?

Black dawg

Reaction score
dude your nut fell off. take off t- case and t-case adapter, it will be obvious from that point. dodge sells a locknut that is supposed to work good. As hard as the stock nut turns i dont understand how it ever comes loose

Black dawg

Reaction score
I just thought I would ad that if you just put the stock nut back on it will probably come back off in the next 15-20k. I also assumed your truck is 4x, if not just take off the tailhousing of the trans. And 4x or not leave the crossmember alone it can be a real *****.

jpw

Reaction score
See the tech articles at quad4x4.com.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Hee hee hee,Guess what.I certain trucks E4OD is working good here......hee hee hee,Guess which one that is. ;p