Not sure where my coolant is going...

zmck150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably a stupid question but a while ago you guys helped me fix a rough idle problem I had, now I took the advice and changed the oil cooler rings and gaskets. Problem I had originally was I had a muddy oil mixture in my coolant, figured it was seals. Now that the oil coolers done I shouldn't be losing fluids to the wrong place anymore right? I haven't driven the truck much(maybe 2 fuel tanks worth) but I've now put a little over 2 gallons of antifreeze in it. ( two separate times 1 gallon each time) any ideas on what else could be wrong. There's no coolant in my oil. No puddle under the truck and no visible smoke from the exhaust (no smell either). Is it possible that I hadn't bled the system correctly and had a 2 gallon bubble? Thanks in advance

Sent from my LG-P659 using Tapatalk

zmck150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a 93 f350 cclb drw 4x4 n/a 7.3 idi sorry forgot to add that

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not likely you would have a 2 gallon bubble, that's the capacity of both heads. Look under the truck if there are traces of coolant there, could be the water pump leaking, a hose loose, oil cooler leaking. If you put 8 gallons of coolant in in the first charge, it would have been full.

zmck150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put about 6.5 gallons but I didn't drain anything other than the radiator, and whatever came out of the block on level ground. When I bled it it took 3/4 of a gallon all said and done. I haven't discovered any leaks I've been looking when I park and when I start it everytime

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Betting its just replacing an air bubble but its something you really need to keep an eye on too. Are you sure the coolant can reach the recovery bottle and return to the radiator. Sometimes that line plugs up and it will allow coolant under pressure expand into it but not suck back. Might try a clamp on the hose at the radiator neck too. Thats the only place it can leak and break the suction from vacuum when it cools and sucks back into the radiator.

zmck150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I have a antifreeze container as a overflow right now I still have a decent amount of oil in the system even after flushing it. But the level in the overflow never changes... is it possible I have a bad headhasket and just can't see or smell he exhaust?

jnkyrdfourd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
look at the back of the head between the firewall and the eng at the head gasket, look for discoloration on the back of the block running down the side of the block, do this when the eng is hot, look for wet spots there. that is were I found my leaks, only when it was hot though it wouldn't weep when it was cold.

zmck150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll check that out tomorrow thanks for your responses

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of oil is cause it wasn't correctly flushed by draining block through plugs. Those are very important so the block coolant properly drains out.

As well use a good automatic dishwasher detergent to flush a couple of times. Mix a bucket of HOT water and strong detergent solution then pour it in top up with water and run it a day or so then drain rinse with water, then do the detergent again then rinse, and once you no longer get oil in coolant, you know you can flush out with distilled water then add coolant and distilled water for final fill.

JM2CW on cleaning

Al

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The oil floats on top od coolant and water. so it will be sent over to the catch can you have made up. Just keep that near full so it wont suck back the oil thats been pushed over there. Drain off the oil often too.

zmck150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll have to try all of this once it warms up a bit it's been in the single digits and negatives lately. I'm starting to get frustrated it's one thing after another right now I'm having battery and cable issues so it's practically impossible to start it and I just fried the new block heater I put in (probably cause of the oil in the coolant) I noticed my top radiator hose to be sucked in a bit when it cools down I tried to upload a picture but my phone isn't letting me, not sure what that means either?

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Hang in there man...deep breaths.

Is your rad cap venting properly? Just kinda strange that the upper rad hose sucking in when cooling down.

zmck150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It functioned fine before.. but it's possible it isn't, there's oil allover the cap as of right now, maybe causing it to not let coolant pass by? I blew a hole in the upper hose a while ago and figured it was due to the oil soaking the rubber making it weak? Probably a ignorant assumption but I think flushing the system once it's like 30 outside is gonna be my first step. I'll keep you guys posted I think Saturday is going to be in the 40s

zmck150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry its taken me so long the wrather hasn't exactly been warm butI've finally gotten around to flushing. the system, I've kept up on removing be oil from the over flow container and keeping the antifreeze level high enough to cycle it all through. Unfortunately I did notice my oil level dropping on the dipstick so I might have to redo my oil cooler rings. I have to get this straightened out soon cause I have a 4.5 hour round trip to go pick up a 93 cc lb are with a 6.9 in it.