NOT GOOD

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
guys-
this is the result of a oil pan getting caved in on a IDI...

Attachments

• 07-01-07_0155.jpg
    07-01-07_0155.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 07-01-07_0156.jpg
    07-01-07_0156.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 17

FordGuy100

Reaction score
guys-
this is the result of a oil pan getting caved in on a IDI...

Yeah, thats not so good. The first time I read what you wrote it kinda confused me, but I get what your saying now. I might just go that route ;Sweet

So, I will go and take a closer look tommorow, I wasnt under there for to long I kinda found out, looked, and came in cause I figured I would get all worked up.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't say I've had any problems with the engine tilting back without the transmission being attached. Engine sat like it normally would every time I pulled my transmission. Same was true with a 95' powersmoke that I worked on briefly (SMF conversion). Although with a 4x4 tranny hanging off the back of it, well thats different.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
I kinda doubt the mounts are shot. I did exactly the same thing when I was putting the turbo in and swapping my trans. I get the trans out at like 4:30 am and just passed out, got up 10 hours later and relized what I had done and just about broke down. These mounts are TOUGH. If you have a hoist, pick the engine up using the lift eyes and the put wood blocks under the sides of the pan (like mentioned before, this is what I did) or use towcats idea of the hole ( I will use this one in the future btw).

mistakes happen and thats all you can say. the first time is a mistake, the second time is a f*ck up (cause you shoulda got the hint the first go round) I try not to make to many mistakes but dont sweat the ones I do make, I rarely f*ck up though ( I have learned to learn I guess (thanks dad))

R. Justin

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
LOL, if I had done that as a kid, my dad would sense trouble and drive home with belt in hand.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I kinda doubt the mounts are shot. I did exactly the same thing when I was putting the turbo in and swapping my trans. I get the trans out at like 4:30 am and just passed out, got up 10 hours later and relized what I had done and just about broke down. These mounts are TOUGH. If you have a hoist, pick the engine up using the lift eyes and the put wood blocks under the sides of the pan (like mentioned before, this is what I did) or use towcats idea of the hole ( I will use this one in the future btw).

mistakes happen and thats all you can say. the first time is a mistake, the second time is a f*ck up (cause you shoulda got the hint the first go round) I try not to make to many mistakes but dont sweat the ones I do make, I rarely f*ck up though ( I have learned to learn I guess (thanks dad))

R. Justin

Yeah, cant really pick it up from the top cause of the turbo....I aint opening that can of worms LOL. I just dont see what jacking it up will do, it seems like its weight has tweaked something down there, I dont know what jacking the engine up some will do, tweak it back into place? I'll give it a shot, as that is way easier than what I was thinking LOL. I'll look at it tommorow, like I said, I wasnt down there for to long :D

So, jack it up, and put blocks under it. Then just go along with my install?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Also, whats the fan to radiator clearance? How far apart are they? Cause when I was looking....even with the engine tilted back to where it was before....just guessing....but it looked like there is more room between the fan and radiator, maybe that weight at that angle also shifted the engine back.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, cant really pick it up from the top cause of the turbo....I aint opening that can of worms LOL. I just dont see what jacking it up will do, it seems like its weight has tweaked something down there, I dont know what jacking the engine up some will do, tweak it back into place? I'll give it a shot, as that is way easier than what I was thinking LOL. I'll look at it tommorow, like I said, I wasnt down there for to long :D

So, jack it up, and put blocks under it. Then just go along with my install?
the "tilt" actually helps the install.
do take immeadiate steps to take the pressure off the fan and fan shroud though.
i usually will drop the motor back just slightly and bolt in the trans.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
So then, bolt up the tranny and jack it up into place, and put the crossmember under the tranny and I'm all good to go? I was thinking that in the begining, but then I figured the engine mounts were messed up and I might screw something up if I tried to tweak them back into place by jacking up the tranny to get it back into its place.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So then, bolt up the tranny and jack it up into place, and put the crossmember under the tranny and I'm all good to go? I was thinking that in the begining, but then I figured the engine mounts were messed up and I might screw something up if I tried to tweak them back into place by jacking up the tranny to get it back into its place.
yup
that pretty much is it.
don't let the motor hang at full lock though.
and take steps to be gentle to the oil pan.