NOT GOOD

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Well, I've hit a big snag in my tranny instal. I am totally, I mean totally screwed. So, the first part of this is kinda a rant.

Lets just say that the damn jack didnt support all the weight of the tranny....I knew something was up when the jack came down so easily. Anyways....looks like the weight of the tranny has played some havac on what, thats right my engine mounts.

I got my injectors today, went and picked up my resurfaced flywheel. So I was feeling good. Came home, and looked, no locktite, so I couldnt put the flywheel back on. So what the heck, I decided to put in the injectors. Well as I was crawling around on top of the engine taking off the air cleaner and everything, I discovered that the engine fan was hitting up against the fan shroud. I was on top of the radiator so was like crap, bent the rad support or something. Got off...looked closer, gee my engine is at a pretty steep angle.

Never done this crap before by myself...so I guess its a lesson in, when you have the time to take out the damn tranny, take out the damn tranny and dont fricking procrastinate and let it sit there and bend the fricking engine mounts.

So, I guess I'm going to pull the engine, which is kinda a good and bad thing I guess LOL. It sucks I have to pull it, but I guess its a good time to do stuff like head studs and fab up an intercooler.

Also, anyone that has pulled there engine to sell.....pm me about engine mounts.

Yes, I was stupid to have done that. I knew it was going to do something like that, but I wasnt going to go out in the rain and get all wet to take the tranny out farther :D.

What should I look out for when pulling the engine?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Hey guys, and even though it sucks, I'm not in the worst mood ever. But lets not be all like....Oh Justin, wow you are a complete idiot to have done that. Yes I know I am, I'll admit it....wont make my life any better, and will probably make me mad which I really dont wanna be.

Anybody seen Kelly's Heroes....lets just take the approach of the goofball or whatever the tank guys name was LOL I dont need your negative vibes.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
hey every body makes mistakes it sucks when you do but have you learned some thing from this now if you do it again then your SOL but just concider it a learning process
you shouldnt have to pull the engine just support the engine with a jack and a block of wood on the oil pan and youll be fine i wouldnt worry to much about hurting those ford tough engine mounts

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Haha, Im not gonna raz ya about anything.
I may have some engine mounts for ya. Im not sure of the condition, or if my dad wants to sell them even, but I know we have atleast one extra set if not two.

But what makes you think that you ruined them? I guess your engine issues is partly my fault. I should have told you that you also have to block and bottle jack the back of the oil pan to support what the trans used to. My bad.
Any way, you'll also want to make sure you didnt screw over your radiator. Trust me, at the angle I KNOW your engine is at, its a very easy thing to do. Make sure your fan isnt sticking through the rad.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no neg vibes here.....but listen carefully and follow the suggestions from me and anyone who posts here.
first.
the motor mounts aren't designed to support the motor alone without the trans hooked up to it. It will tilt rearwards. Here's the problem. the natural impulse is to jack up the bottom of the motor by the bottom of the oil pan. the problem starts in where the oil pan drain plug is easily caved into the pickup screen when all the weight of the motor is placed on it.
solution.... drill a oversized hole in a 4x6 block to support the oil pan while jacking up the motor. make sure the hole is centered under the drain plug.
second.
inspect the rubber portion of the motor mount. If torn, make a trip to the local NAPA and order new ones. the motor mount brackets that are mounted between the motor mounts and motor will only bend when a act of god is involved and removing the tranny doesn't count.
third.
once the motor is leveled out, spin and inspect the fan. if any of the blades are bent or distorted, straighten or replace the fan. next time when you pull the trans, pull the fan shroud ahead of time to avoid fan damage.
good luck.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yeah, I guess I could jack up the engine and do it that way.....but yeah, seriously, good time to upgrade :D ;Sweet.

The engine mounts look bent to me, plus that along with the angle the engine is at, they are messed up ;Sweet. The drivers exhaust manifold is against the firewall if you would like some sort of idea how much it is back. Oh well...try to get ahold of my parents and for-warn them of what they are going to find when they get home LOL.

Sean, I dont even wanna look :D. I dont think that it is though, didnt see any coolant underneath, or smelt coolant, ect....I suppose I will go look though ;Sweet. Nope, it aint.

tractorman86

Reaction score
get the motor leveled out, your mounts might not be bad. cant hurt to look but if you are going to mod. might as well.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I dont think I want to be around to hear your parents thoughts on this one. lol

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I dont think I want to be around to hear your parents thoughts on this one. lol

Ah, who cares :D LOL. Chit happens, oh well LOL.

I'd be like....Dad, got bad news, the engine mounts are bent I gotta pull the engine. Then with it out, be like, geez, looks like my head gaskets are going, I need to re-do them....might as well put in some head studs. Yeah, I'm going to play this :D

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I haven't seen a Ford yet that the engine will sit at a decent angle with no tranny on the back....Don't feel bad, I saw 2 licensed techs trying to get a 6spd out of the 2001 F350 diesel...It wouldn't budge because the engine was trying to fall down through the back...LOL...I walked by, saw the issue, threw a jack and block of wood under the truck and walked away...They got the jist and looked pretty green when a rookie like myself had to show the non-Ford crowd how to do things right...LOL...I doubt you hurt the mounts, unless the vulcanizing has let go I wouldn't rush to change them....I alway's support the engine on the pan rails of the block...No worries about crushing an oil pan that way. When I do rear housings on a Detroit 60 series engine I block them up with a bottle jack and blocks of wood on the #5 main cap....Good and solid.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
I'm with Bigrigtech on this one, don't rush into it, but I'd still play it up for the mods..... ;Really I might have the mounts next week if ya need them......:D

Last edited:

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Well I'm not jumping into it until I get approval....thats for sure. I'm just going to relax for a while. Though school starts next week.....and I've been told I'm riding the bus if my truck isnt going.....so we will have to see how that pans out :D

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
I should be picking up a 6.9 this Saturday and I can yank the mounts if you need them. It has a good fan as well and I won't be needing it. Take a closer look at things and let me know if you're in need.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online