NOT GOOD

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear you've hit a snag. I also suggest maybe you should have a friend around when working under the engine and mounts. It can be a real chore to get that stuff lined up and you're working with an incredible amount of weight jacked up above you. Its a time that pays to be careful.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
I also suggest maybe you should have a friend around when working under the engine and mounts. It can be a real chore to get that stuff lined up and you're working with an incredible amount of weight jacked up above you. Its a time that pays to be careful.

x2

In the military they stress buddy teams. Sometimes its so bad that you wonder if you should be peeing by yourself....:dunno

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
A tranny jack will save you time, and blood. Most good rental shops will have them.

I agree relieve the stress on the engine mounts right away. I doubt You need new mounts.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll join the chorus and say that I don't think you messed up at all. It would have been worse had you already changed out the clutch. You can bet the disc is tweaked if it is still in that far. The input shaft is strong enough to support the wieght of the trans, especially when it was slowly lowered like that. The mounts are flexible, so they did what they do best, and aside from the fan shroud, which will probably be fine if it didn't crack, I can't see anything being damaged. When I jack the motor, I keep the block of wood right against the back of the pan. That's where most of the strenght and leverage is.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well that really suxs big time but... As posted by others. The mounts are probably fine. Just support the pan rails and check things out. These pans are only about 1/4 inch clearance from the oil pump pickup so thats why towcat recommends a large hole drilled in a 2x6. The hole must be larger than the drain area of the pan. Probably about 1 1/2 inch hole will do fine. I always support the rear pan rail with a measured and cut 2x4. Just jack up the other side of the pan rail till the block fits and let it down. The mounts are labeled "r" & "L" but... They do have a top and bottom. If they get installed wrong the motor will be foewards of where its dupposed to be. Look at the mounts carefully "if" you remove them. No need for another lesson..