Not Good-Lost some oil pressure

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well not sure what to do at this point. I lost about 20psi, I know what is going on I think and I'm not sure what to do. I always carried around 63psi when hot on my manual gauge but now it's down around 20 to 25 now.

How hard is it to pull the pan with engine still in the truck. Or is it possible to flush out the oil system with the engine still in the truck. Something got into the oil system and it was my stupid screwup.

I am going to change the location of my oil line to the gauge to see if my fears are founded. Right now my gauge is tapped in to the oil cooler and I think the cooler might be plugged. I am going to move the line to the oil line to the turbo and see what oil pressure looks like there.

Jim

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Well, depending on what you mean something got into the oil system, you can run Auto RX and it will clean everything out.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Change the oil filter and see what it gives you for oil pressure... I only say that because I had a filter plug up and go into bypass mode (unfiltered mode) on the way back from florida.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, well it doesn't sound good. Another possibility is to plug the oil pressure sender into the port on the engine just forward of the bellhousing. Thats where mine is. I get 30-40 psi plus going down the road at 2000rpm plus and 15-20 at hot idle.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is about 60 at idle when cold and after it warms in drops to 20-25 at idle. Not sure what i am running at speed yet.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I think Travis has a good idea-make sure your pressure is low.If it is check the pressure relif in the filter housing-I've seen them loosen up and pop out

Last edited:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its often that spring, but even if your values are correct you are probably in no danger of losing that engine or turbo. Still you need to see if the filter is plugged and/or that spring is shot before you go too far with it.

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Guys, the oil pressure droped as soon as I changed the oil and filter, I thought was odd but I thought it was due to what got down into the pan. Mabe just a bad oil filter, Motorcraft Powerstroke oil filter.

Jim

sassyrel

Reaction score
story----brothers truck had a noise in the right front of engine. and---the oil pressure dropped one day. he changed the oil and filter. same. so--i said id pull the pan and check bearings. did. same. so--he said now what. i called i place i knew that rebuilt 7.3 for the army. he said--your relief valve is stuck.. dave pulled the oil filter base and cooler. yup-relief stuck. pressure cold, but none warm, was dumping the oil. polished the valve with scotchbrite, and staked that sucker back together. now he had oil pressure. but--2 days later hes at my place--said, whats the noise???? asked if he had a bad alt bearing. said just replaced. hmmmm. told him to pull the ip, pull the intake, and pull the valley pan. guess what?? pickle fork broke, and the lifter was 90 degree spun!!!!!!! pulled front things off of engine, replaced with a used cam, got rebuilt lifters,rebuilt the junk ip from ford that never did work right, and put back together. ran like a dream, and finally started right!!!! the bits of metal from the cam and lifter is what stuck the relief valve---but amazingly never hurt the bearings or oil pump!!!!! or crank!!! wild

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
yep, dont know if it serviced seperatly or if ya got to buy a new header, on the psd's its buy a header

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Staff online