No start, truck stuck 300 mi from home

Turbo94idi

Reaction score
Wow I had no idea I could do that kind of damage. I guess I'll be talking to conestoga diesel soon.. I'm looking at the baby moose pump and moose mate injectors. I'd like to swap it all myself, I looked at the tech article and it doesn't seem too intimidating. Just don't want to screw up the timing.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
make sure your GP system is working correctly before replacing injectors. It sounds like the problem occurred all at once which would rule out injectors and make me look real hard at the GP and GPR.

killen1

Reaction score
I honestly think it is air intrusion

I had an 86 f350 and I didn't screw the filter on tight enough and white smoke but.... Mine did not clear until I tightened it mmhm well although it could be glowplugs do u have a block heater if you do try to leave it plugged in.

And in a few hours it would start like magic . Also look for broken grounds by gpc mine was that simple whew! But keep us posted.

Turbo94idi

Reaction score
I think I have a combination of air intrusion and maybe a few bad glowplugs. When I started it this morning, took almost 10 sec of cranking, there was white smoke and it felt like it was stumbling on a few cylinders before fully firing. Once fired though, basically no smoke at all, even while it was still cold.

What is the preferred way to check glowplugs? I was reading about using a test light or another method with a multimeter. I have both but honestly don't know much about electricity and have no idea what all the settings are for on the multimeter.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if the GPs haven't been changed I would just do all of them. I would check all the fuel lines on the motor, frame and down to the tanks. I have misters and a junior pump and love them, if you want better mileage I would go with a smaller pump.

Turbo94idi

Reaction score
What kind of milage do you get with the junior moose and misters? Yeah I figured it's worth it to just replace them, but I'd like to find the good ones and keep them as backups, unless they're autolites or something.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it will be ok, if you dont take the gear cover off like i did LOL
pm @icanfixall and rent one of his meters.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
air intrusion will cause long crank, rough start, and rough idle. it will not cause white smoke to POUR out. that is caused by a weak injector ******* fuel into a cold hole. once the hole/cyl is warmed up, the problems is masked. another indicator of bad injectors is ****** mileage.
poorly functioning GP's will cause some white smoke but not a POURING condition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online