No start, truck stuck 300 mi from home

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it wont hurt anything at this point,
you will either have fuel or not.
take you about minute of your time to check.
i guess the schrader valve tells you the same thing, but the filter being 75% full when you pulled it off would make me look at the lift pump a bit more.
a fuel pressure gauge would take out the guess work pre IP. i highly suggest everyone installs one.

crack in a can is always high on my list to use when im having issues, and a cut off for the GP system too

Turbo94idi

Reaction score
Are there fuel pressure gauges that would screw right on the Schrader? That would be convenient if I could grab something like that at a parts store. If pressure at the filter was low could that starve the IP?

I still seem to be getting fuel at the injectors, is it possible for them to show fuel when cracked but not have the pressure to pop?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it could? maybe? ive seen weirder things happen
altho my truck with a new IP did run @ 2 psi while at idle.

just tryin to cover all the basis.

i would give it a spray of ether next, see if it will pop

Turbo94idi

Reaction score
I'd have to get some ether. If I disconnect the glow plugs it should be safe right? The last thing I want is to do any damage to my engine.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
disconnect GP system. YES!
USE IT SPARINGLY!
altho i have dumped a lot down a few IDI's, with the GP system disconnected and got it to fire.
the first one i didnt know any better and just douched it. if i knew then, what i know now!
glad i didnt mess anything up

Hammerfish94

Reaction score
That is about the same way my truck was acting like after I put a new ip in it. Never did get it started my self. In the shop now. I will to let you know what was the problem with mine when I get it back.

sgallaty

Engineer
Reaction score
Remember if you do use ether to start, shut off the gpc first - i think disconnecting the white wire from the relay is the safest but someone can back me up on that

ether on hot glowplugs will detonate

Edit: Sorry, I did read the whole topic - somehow missed that you'd already asked about this.

Last edited:

Turbo94idi

Reaction score
So it started and I got her home tonight. I'm leaning towards air intrusion as I was able to get it started by cracking all 8 injectors then tightening them as I got fuel.

It smoked a ton for the first few minutes driving after letting it warm up, then was back to normal. I still want to find the source of the issue and fix it. My first guess would be the return lines, are there any other common sources of air intrusion?

Thanks everyone for all the help, it got me home tonight.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Return lines and caps, the olives on the feed lines, the rubber feed line between the rail and lift pump, the fuel heater on the filter, the filter restriction sensor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Turbo94idi

Reaction score
When I started it up this morning after sitting overnight it choked for a second then fired up with a BIG cloud of white smoke, and the truck seems to smoke a little more in general while driving. Are these signs of a tired IP and injectors?

Turbo94idi

Reaction score
Other than smoking some, the truck seems to run pretty good. If I give it a lot of throttle it will roll smoke and doesn't accelerate as quick as if I slowly roll on the gas, is that normal for these trucks? Is it worth it to change injectors without changing the IP, or is it better to swap it all in at once?

Turbo94idi

Reaction score
So it seems the truck is harder to start anytime I let it sit overnight. Once warm it fires right up. This morning I started it (maybe 10 sec of cranking) and it was just POURING white smoke out at idle (high idle on). I brought the rpm up to 2k, held it for a few seconds, and then the smoke was gone even when I let it down to idle.

Would that be a sign of bad glowplugs? Even though the white smoke was coming out after it started? Or is it possible for air intrusion to cause this? This is my first diesel so I wonder if I'm just overreacting to all the smoke a diesel makes. It was really pouring out a big cloud this morning however..

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it seems the truck is harder to start anytime I let it sit overnight. Once warm it fires right up. This morning I started it (maybe 10 sec of cranking) and it was just POURING white smoke out at idle (high idle on). I brought the rpm up to 2k, held it for a few seconds, and then the smoke was gone even when I let it down to idle.

Would that be a sign of bad glowplugs? Even though the white smoke was coming out after it started? Or is it possible for air intrusion to cause this? This is my first diesel so I wonder if I'm just overreacting to all the smoke a diesel makes. It was really pouring out a big cloud this morning however..
white smoke is raw diesel coming out your tailpipe. more than likely your injectors aren't holding pressure at all. time for pump and injectors. if you wait much longer, you will wash down your rings and ruin your motor.