No Start ... any help truly appreciated

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok ... I've jumped the grounds and the (+) battery to (+) starter (again) and that doesn't make her spin any faster ... Until a few minutes ago I thought that's all an IDI needed ... fuel and rotation ... am I wrong?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Do You hear the glow plug controller click? If it is cold and the glow plugs are bad it may not start at all. That hood/cowl seal is a very bad design I had a similar problem with My truck years ago and luckily I replaced the seal on time.
Yes if You have plenty fuel at the injector lines and heat from the glow plugs it should start. Optimas may be good for cars but for this type of situation there is nothing like a good pair of G31's.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GP system has fewer than 150 hours of service ... plugs are clean (just had them out) and yes sir ... I can hear the controller.
I've never had an issue with Optima Reds ... it doesn't get cold here so they crank out 1000 amps each ... and I have a gear reduction starter ... I really don't think "spin" is the problem ... can't think of anything else though.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you get from perfectly good running truck to no start??? It just doesn't make sense! What possible damage could the water have done to prevent the truck from starting? I just don't get it!!!
If I have to trailer this truck to a mechanic it would be the FIRST TIME EVER ... and I would really hate that ... and I would sure hate to take her in without knowing what's wrong!
If y'all are out if ideas I guess I'll just start tearing her down ... don't know what else to do ...

Exekiel69

Reaction score
If You where working in the the vicinity of the fuel return lines it is possible You moved some of them and created an air leak. Maybe You see fuel at the injector lines but when there is air it with it then it will not start. This happened to Me before on this engines and what I do to be certain there is good fuel to the injectors is put a jug with diesel on the suction side of the fuel pump and route the return to it then crank it and if the engine is like it was then it will start. This is when an electric pump becomes very useful.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used a piece of clear tube in return line circuit ... no bubbles.

hahn_rossman

Hahn Rossman
Reaction score
Please check that you didn't knock the electrical connections at the IP loose while leaning over the engine. When you say you have fuel at the injectors, is it squirting out around the nut when you loosened them or just wet?

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I checked the power at IP ... I didn't loosen the nut enough to squirt ... just wet.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
F it ... I'm pullin the motor out / changing head gaskets ... one was seeping anyway. Must have broken something ... I don't understand how but it must be ... I'll bet I find it when the heads are off.
Any advice while I have it out ... oil cooler and what else ???

Exekiel69

Reaction score
If the engine cranks fine, You don't hear any uncommon noises and there isn't any milkshake looking oil on the dipstick or oil mixed with coolant in the radiator why pull the engine? I usually miss the obvious and turns out the fix was cheaper than thought.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hear you Exekiel69. But I'm out of ideas ... exploratory surgery time I guess.Besides, her right head gasket is seeping oil anyway ... as close to a leak as I want to get ... AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO. The damn thing won't fire off.
No air in return lines
PLENTY of spin
GP system is good
Fuel at injectors
Power at IP
What would you do?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
GP system has fewer than 150 hours of service ... plugs are clean (just had them out) and yes sir ... I can hear the controller.
I've never had an issue with Optima Reds ... it doesn't get cold here so they crank out 1000 amps each ... and I have a gear reduction starter ... I really don't think "spin" is the problem ... can't think of anything else though.

THe thing with truck batteries is that the cranking amps isn't the big item . The figure that really matters is the reserve capacity. THose optima reds may have 1000 amps, but you only get a little bit of kick out of them at that rate before they peter out. A set of stock type big truck group 31s batts will have near twice the reserve capacity, and that is what gives you the ability to be able to crank on the starter more than once when you are having trouble firing up ;Sweet

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll pull a couple of GPs tomorrow to verify fuel on piston ... I smell raw fuel after cranking though.
RLDSL ... how is reserve capacity measured? I know higher numbers are better ... Optima Reds are "rated" 100 ... what should I be looking for?