No cold start

kodiak98400

Reaction score
Helping my son with his truck. 1993 7.3 , 093 ats turbo , 5 speed. Recently resealed the motor,installed arp studs. typ4 rebuild the turbo,new typ4 cam, new r&d pump and injectors, new zd9 glow plugs,new controller, conestoga return line kit with olives. It does not even try to start when cold (30 to 40 degrees). Lots of white smoke. Plug it in for 1 hour and it fires right up. Done all the test on the controller/glow plugs/wiring harness and ground, and it all checks good. Truck runs great,idles smooth and pulls hard, just wont start when cold. Help me out guys,what am i missing here?

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Kinda sounds like a fuel leak or they arnt gettin hot enough mine don't cycle long enough and I can't recycle them because we hooked the key into the button and my button quiet working.when the button worked I could hold it a few extra seconds and Itd Fire off after like 2 rotations

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

kodiak98400

Reaction score
wts light 13 seconds. timed @ 8 degrees with a meter. Cycles normal,gauges flicker and relay clicks after light goes out. glows plugs are too hot to hold in your hand. maybe just not getting hot enough?

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
I mean it may sound stuiped but possibly jump the cylonoid for like 16 seconds or just cycle the key twice.it takes around 16 or so seconds to fire off when it's real cold

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
How fast does it crank over.if it's to slow it won't do anything but if it's wirlin over fast as hell then im not sure

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
That eliminates everything I've got.mine just don't like to start cause ive got a fuel leak and it don't crank over super fast cause I need new batteries but he'll if it's cranking over fast I don't see why it wouldn't start. I'll deffinaly be watchin this I wanna know the out come

dlundberg1990

Reaction score
It's cranking fast, not fuel related, doesn't matter how many times I cycle the plugs, checked all wires with a multi meter, Even ran a new supply wire to the controler just for the hell of it, checked supply from the lift pump, compression is around 400's all cylinders. Everything checked out like the glow plug system is working. Plugs get hot but no start, I can plug it in for 1 hour before I even try to start the truck and it fires right up.

dlundberg1990

Reaction score
No been running diesel, heavy dose of power service in it right now. Had my timing set at 9.5 and just changed it today too 8.