Newb Questions

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
The Motorcraft glowpugs should be Berus, just twice as expensive from Ford. Do you have an Autozone nearby? They have carried Berus. Be sure you get the proper part number. It should be like "ZD9" which happen to be 7.3 plugs. A parts house for big rigs that can get International parts should be able to get Berus. All the same plugs whether Motorcraft or International. Take one of the old ones in to match them up in case the counter guy is a dweeb.

vt951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Motorcraft glowpugs should be Berus, just twice as expensive from Ford. Do you have an Autozone nearby? They have carried Berus. Be sure you get the proper part number. It should be like "ZD9" which happen to be 7.3 plugs. A parts house for big rigs that can get International parts should be able to get Berus. All the same plugs whether Motorcraft or International. Take one of the old ones in to match them up in case the counter guy is a dweeb.

Thanks. Looks like the Motorcraft part number for 6.9 glow plugs is ZD1A. I've read on here that some Motorcraft plugs are not made by Beru, though. Also read that Autozone discontinued carrying them.

vt951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tonight I cleaned up injectors 1 and 2 (removed the teflon tape), and tried to clean out the injector bores. I can't seem to get the **** out of the bottom, where the copper washers are supposed to seat. Is there some sort of tool, like a stone or wire brush made for doing this?

EDIT: I think I found the answer here: http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10319

Just not sure if the injector seat reamer is supposed to be used with the heads installed or not.

Last edited:

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
I just went through this thread and man were neighbors....I have a harbor freight compression tester that I fabricated an adapter to work on our 6.9 and 7.3 IDI engines. Maybe we could compare the numbers with the tester I have. I could maybe also give you a hand sometime to, Im a young one though so I may not know everything about them but am willing to give ya a hand....

BTW Im in Batavia over by the State Park..

vt951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went through this thread and man were neighbors....I have a harbor freight compression tester that I fabricated an adapter to work on our 6.9 and 7.3 IDI engines. Maybe we could compare the numbers with the tester I have. I could maybe also give you a hand sometime to, Im a young one though so I may not know everything about them but am willing to give ya a hand....

BTW Im in Batavia over by the State Park..

Wow, that is close. Probably 10-15 minutes away from me. Yeah, I'd like to get together and see your truck. I looked through your pics, looks like you've done a lot of good work on it. Curious especially to see what you've done as far as underhood wiring, and also check out the front end conversion.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Sure we could do that sometime man. Wont ya PM me your location so we can meet up sometime. Ya ive done a lot of work to my truck, your free to check out anything on it, its still a work in progress. BTW I work in Amelia At Multi-Color....Sorry for hijacking, just not every day you find someone this close!!!

vt951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure we could do that sometime man. Wont ya PM me your location so we can meet up sometime. Ya ive done a lot of work to my truck, your free to check out anything on it, its still a work in progress. BTW I work in Amelia At Multi-Color....Sorry for hijacking, just not every day you find someone this close!!!

pm sent.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Snuck on the computer over at my parents house to give an update.

Well I can shed some more light on Alans problems on the no start on the truck..
He shipped me the injectors yesterday and wow. Paperweights they are.:eek:

3 wouldn't even pop open at 5000 psi
3 popped at 1200 psi then bled down to full blown leakers.
1 popped off at 1500 psi with a fair spray pattern.
YUK!:puke:

1 got left on a battery in OH,but I think that will make a nice paperweight also.;Really

Hopefully witha fresh set of injectors, we can hear this thing light off.

vt951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ron, thanks for doing that test. Even though it sux to have to buy new injectors now, it's good to know for sure that they were at least part of the problem. I'm sure the low compression was part of the problem, too. Hopefully those numbers will go up considerably after I use the injector seat reamer that "icanfixall" is sending me to borrow.

vt951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, and this is for holstein... pm sent.

:) Funny how it never occurred to that "pm sent" is a pretty stupid thing to post. But it's done all the time in another forum that I'm on regularly.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ron, thanks for doing that test. Even though it sux to have to buy new injectors now, it's good to know for sure that they were at least part of the problem. I'm sure the low compression was part of the problem, too. Hopefully those numbers will go up considerably after I use the injector seat reamer that "icanfixall" is sending me to borrow.
make sure there's no copper washer still stuck in there. before you use the reamer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726