Newb Questions

vt951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all. New to diesels, sorry for a couple dumb questions here, but I'm hoping to get some advice.

I am buying an '86 f250 with the 6.9 and 4x4. It doesn't run, so we're going to try to tow it to my house using a dolly, about 20 miles. Should i pull the driveshaft for that distance, or do you think the tranny will be ok for that short distance?

The reason it doesn't run is the owner pulled the injectors to clean them, and I guess didn't put them back correctly. He said he thinks he put them in the wrong order... but that doesn't seem to make sense... they should all be the same injectors right? From what I've read in Mel Agne's (excellent) instructions, I suspect there is probably just air in the fuel lines.

Getting the truck for only $500 because he's moving and can't take it with him! Body is pretty good (no rust through), Texas truck supposedly, but paint is toast. I plan to remedy that.

Attachments

• 0730091213_01.jpg
    0730091213_01.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

smokin69

Always smokin'
Reaction score
Id remove the shaft as an auto's pump wont turn in neutral with the engine off(no lube) and a T-19's output shaft will just spin in the gears without them turning, also resulting in no lube. Im not sure about putting the T-case in neutral but I don't think it will work either as the chain wouldnt spin.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Welcome to OB!:thumbsup:

Steal that nice truck as fast as you can!!!;Sweet

Unless he pulled the lines off the IP as well, that could be a possibility but I suspect as you. Air is a common no start problem if ya get it introduced into the system and don't bleed it out.

As far as towing goes, pull the driveshaft. The trans will be fine but it's the t-case that you need to be concerned with. It has an oil pump in it that lubricates the assembly but will only do so when under it's own power.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
4 nuts and the driveshaft os off the pumpkin. tie it up to the frame for cheap insurance.

vt951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for your advice and welcomes. I will pull the driveshaft then. Didn't know the transfer case was the problem, glad I asked.

I'll ask him if he pulled the lines from the injection pump. I don't think he did, but who knows.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to OB. You got a deal there. I bet it is an air intrusion problem as well. If so, you stole that truck!;Sweet

Heath

vt951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heath,

Yeah, if that's all it take to get it running, I'll be a happy man. Even if I have to buy a new set of injectors, I think I'll be ahead.

Everyone I tell about the truck says the 6.9 is a great motor.

oregon101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wrap some electrical tape around the ujoint to keep the cups in place. You got a great deal if all it turns out to be is an air problem. Keep the gang posted.

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
I am actually pretty sure that putting the T-case in neutral would be safe but pulling the shaft and unlocking the front hubs to be safer is a good idea.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am actually pretty sure that putting the T-case in neutral would be safe but pulling the shaft and unlocking the front hubs to be safer is a good idea.
+1 on that suggestion.
that's how I tow these beasts. no auto hubs, no problem;Sweet

vt951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I talked to the seller again, and he's not sure the dolly will hold that heavy of a truck. So, I'm going to hire a local guy who's got an F350 and a trailer to move the truck instead. It's worth the $75 for peace of mind, and he's going to put the truck in my garage (I hope it fits).

After reading a bunch more on here (including the whole "need a free mechanic in TN thread"), I have come up with a to do list in order:

1. batteries (see if both batteries are charged good and at least 850 cca each)
2. starter (make sure cranking at least 600 rpm)
3. check glow plugs (resistance check) and replace any bad
4. look for smoke when cranking (no smoke means no fuel)
5. if no smoke, bleed fuel lines (crack 2 lines at a time and crank til fuel comes out)
6. if still no smoke, pull out the injectors and get them tested (1400 or 1800 psi?) replace any bad
7. if still no smoke, rebuild or replace injection pump
8. if getting fuel but still not starting, check IP timing (visual check timing lines)
9. pay somebody to fix it

Last edited:

vt951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha ha, thanks. Well I'll be glad if my travels go as far as leaving my driveway in this beast sometime in the next month.

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And you learned all that from just reading old posts, huh? I didn't think that was possible, maybe some people just don't think to try that route.:rotflmao:rotflmaoLOL

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I talked to the seller again, and he's not sure the dolly will hold that heavy of a truck. So, I'm going to hire a local guy who's got an F350 and a trailer to move the truck instead. It's worth the $75 for peace of mind, and he's going to put the truck in my garage (I hope it fits).

After reading a bunch more on here (including the whole "need a free mechanic in TN thread"), I have come up with a to do list in order:

1. batteries (see if both batteries are charged good and at least 850 cca each)
2. starter (make sure cranking at least 600 rpm)
3. check glow plugs (resistance check) and replace any bad
4. look for smoke when cranking (no smoke means no fuel)
5. if no smoke, bleed fuel lines (crack 2 lines at a time and crank til fuel comes out)
6. if still no smoke, pull out the injectors and get them tested (1400 or 1800 psi?) replace any bad
7. if still no smoke, rebuild or replace injection pump
8. if getting fuel but still not starting, check IP timing (visual check timing lines)
9. pay somebody to fix it
I've never seen 600rpm with a starter, but 300rpm via the dash tach is common.
You have the right idea and direction.;Sweet asking questions is good, but you've also read the thread on how not to be asking questions and being combative with the answers you get.cookoo
my suggestion is as follows....
1) make sure you have good cranking speed first. fix whatever related problems before proceeding.
2) make sure you have good fuel feed. while cranking, check the schrader valve at the filter and see if you got good flow there. make sure you have 12v to the pump solenoid and check for the presence of fuel at the injectors. even with lousy pop pressures and the timing off, the truck still should run just not very well at all.
3)pull the air cleaner and check the filter to see if it's plugged. doesn't happen too often, but it still doesn't hurt to check. one last thing that can be very controversial is the use of ether. I use it. wisely though. if you are getting compression knock from using it, you are using too much. cycling glow plugs takes precious energy for the batteries that could be better spent on turning the starter. but this is a choice you will need to be comfortable with and knowing that using too much will have fatal consequences for your motor.