Newb Questions

vt951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I think the fuel pump might be the problem (or at least A problem). I pulled a couple of the injectors lines and cranked... no fuel. Then put a fuel pressure gauge on the schrader valve above the filter... no pressure at all, not even a blip. Then, went down to the fuel pump, pulled the plug, and put my voltmeter on it when it was being cranked... 12 volts. Then plugged it back in and listened. I heard a very brief wirring/buzzing sound (for like 1/2 second or so), and then nothing. Cranked again and nothing.

vt951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Woops, I think maybe I was listening to the fuel selector valve? I had just flipped the tank switch before my buddy cranked it while I was listening. So, I think maybe that short buzzing noise was the valve flipping/rotating?

Here is what I was listening to and measuring voltage at:

Attachments

• tanksselector.JPG
    tanksselector.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
If you have the original fuel pump/ lift pump, it's on the lower front right side of the block and is mechanical. If someone put an electric pump in, it's probably on the frame rail in front of the tank selector valve. Also, is there any fuel in the filter? If not then your lift pump may not be getting fuel there. Is the filter new? Could be a plugged filter.

vt951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the original fuel pump/ lift pump, it's on the lower front right side of the block and is mechanical. If someone put an electric pump in, it's probably on the frame rail in front of the tank selector valve. Also, is there any fuel in the filter? If not then your lift pump may not be getting fuel there. Is the filter new? Could be a plugged filter.

Thanks... yes the previous owner recently replaced the fuel filter. I have not checked it for fuel, but will do that next.

I just located the mechanical fuel pump where you said.

I don't think there was anything mounted in front of the tank selector valve (if that is in fact what I took a picture of), so I guess it's still using the mechanical pump.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have verified the correct opertation of your fuel tank selector valve. ;Sweet

vt951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have verified the correct opertation of your fuel tank selector valve. ;Sweet

Yup... I know, I know. I'm learning.

Tonight I'm going to see if the fuel filter is empty, and check the operation of the mechanical fuel pump. Towcat's advice.

vt951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so tonight I did the following:

- took off the fuel filter and found that it was full and looked clean (it's pretty much brand new)
- sprayed a tiny squirt of starting fluid in the intake while cranking. No reaction at all. Not even a sputter.
- took off the fuel pump supply line and put my finger over the hole while the engine was cranking. Felt some suction, so that confirms that the fuel pump is working I guess.
- while the hose was off, I received a good shower of diesel fuel, which I guess confirms that there actually is fuel in the tank.

So, I'm now a bit confused. I'm wondering if the fuel gauge that I put on the schrader valve is not working, or maybe I didn't get it on far enough to get it to trigger?

Also, when the engine was cranking, I noticed a bit of "steam" wafting out of the intake hole. Perhaps moisture in there? Which brings me to my new theory. When the previous owner first showed me the truck, it was sitting outside with the air cleaner off, and nothing over the intake hole. So, when it rained, water could have been dripping off of the cowl right into the intake. Is there any way to check for the presence of water in the intake? Any way to get it out of there, other that just wait for it to evaporate? Here's a picture looking into the intake manifold.

Attachments

• intake.JPG
    intake.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 8

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you're seeing the tail end of the combustion process. with the "steam".
crack open the line feeding the injection pump from the fuel filter and crank it. is it "spurting out"?
btw.
congratulations on your diesel shower;Sweet your truck will do it to you many more times in the future:rotflmao:rotflmao:D

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so tonight I did the following:

- took off the fuel filter and found that it was full and looked clean (it's pretty much brand new)
- sprayed a tiny squirt of starting fluid in the intake while cranking. No reaction at all. Not even a sputter.
- took off the fuel pump supply line and put my finger over the hole while the engine was cranking. Felt some suction, so that confirms that the fuel pump is working I guess.
- while the hose was off, I received a good shower of diesel fuel, which I guess confirms that there actually is fuel in the tank.

So, I'm now a bit confused. I'm wondering if the fuel gauge that I put on the schrader valve is not working, or maybe I didn't get it on far enough to get it to trigger?

Also, when the engine was cranking, I noticed a bit of "steam" wafting out of the intake hole. Perhaps moisture in there? Which brings me to my new theory. When the previous owner first showed me the truck, it was sitting outside with the air cleaner off, and nothing over the intake hole. So, when it rained, water could have been dripping off of the cowl right into the intake. Is there any way to check for the presence of water in the intake? Any way to get it out of there, other that just wait for it to evaporate? Here's a picture looking into the intake manifold.

Did you notice any smoke from the exhaust while cranking, the ether should at least make a little smoke and noise from the engine. I have never seen an engine that wouldn't even make a pop or two on ether. What part of Cinci are you in? I have family up there and they have been nagging me to visit, maybe if you are still having trouble in a while I can swing by and give a hand if needed.

vt951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you notice any smoke from the exhaust while cranking, the ether should at least make a little smoke and noise from the engine. I have never seen an engine that wouldn't even make a pop or two on ether. What part of Cinci are you in? I have family up there and they have been nagging me to visit, maybe if you are still having trouble in a while I can swing by and give a hand if needed.

That would be great. I'll take all the help I can get! I live out near Amelia, OH, east of the 275 loop a few miles. Towcat has been helping me over the phone, and he thinks we might be getting close now.

vt951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, with advice from towcat, I put a jumper line from one of the IP terminals to the + battery terminal (as shown below), and loosened a couple of injector lines, and cranked it. Fuel was spraying out from the lines, so it does not appear to be a fuel problem. The jumper is to bypass the trucks electrical system and disable the fuel shut off (to eliminate electrical issues from the startup problem).

Next step will be to make sure my batteries are well charged so the starter cranks fast enough. Also, he wants me to take off the front plate on the filler neck to look at the timing. I will put the engine at TDC and look for a dowel to be at about 4:30 position. Haven't looked in there yet, but that sounds easy enough I guess.

Attachments

• jumperdetails.jpg
    jumperdetails.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 24
  • jumpercloseup.JPG
    jumpercloseup.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Next step will be to make sure my batteries are well charged so the starter cranks fast enough. Also, he wants me to take off the front plate on the filler neck to look at the timing. I will put the engine at TDC and look for a dowel to be at about 4:30 position. Haven't looked in there yet, but that sounds easy enough I guess.
here's what you need to be looking for.
i removed the timing gear plate to further illustrate how the marks line up.

Attachments

• SL371574.JPG
    SL371574.JPG
    286.8 KB · Views: 27

vt951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here's what you need to be looking for.
i removed the timing gear plate to further illustrate how the marks line up.

Well, this could be the problem! I put the motor at TDC, and the dowel is way on the other side, maybe about 180 degrees out of time, right? Now, I need to figure out how to fix that. Would this explain why I wasn't getting smoke out of my exhaust, but instead a little smoke was coming out of the intake?

Attachments

• harmonicbalancer.jpg
    harmonicbalancer.jpg
    553.5 KB · Views: 13
  • ipdowel.jpg
    ipdowel.jpg
    406.6 KB · Views: 10

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, this could be the problem! I put the motor at TDC, and the dowel is way on the other side, maybe about 180 degrees out of time, right? Now, I need to figure out how to fix that. Would this explain why I wasn't getting smoke out of my exhaust, but instead a little smoke was coming out of the intake?
you are prolly looking at it at BDC instead of TDC.
you're either dead on or way off.
irregardless, you do seem like you're a few teeth off by the pic.
did the po remove the gear tower?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online