New water pump still leaking??????

sassyrel

Reaction score
also--leaks can really travel!!! sure it aint coming from the thermostat area--and creeping?????? even tho you fixed it-----just the thermo moving a bit before you tightened it--

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the RTV, I use it on Everything along with a gasket, and both sides of the gasket. Ultra Grey for everything. I have never had a problem with leaks if I use silicone. Check your oil, and see if water is getting into your crankcase, since it could be leaking from the timing cover. It will be grey.

BlueCrew

Reaction score
No i have never had any trouble with aleak, i always clean the block off good make sure to get all the old gasket off and then i put a thin layer of rtv on the water pump and set the gasket on make sure to line it up and be letting the rtv get tacky while thats doing that a put a coat on the block and after i get done stick 2 bolts in the water pump and get it started being careful not to damage the gasket or move it and the get all the bolts started and torque it down

X 2 Never had a leak here Its like Sassyrel said leaks can travel an are sometime hard to find exacly were its coming from

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear that Jim, I was going to contact you today and see how it went...guess now I know. This sucks. Are you positive you got the mating surfaces absolutely clean and put all the bolts in the right holes? If I remember right I used gray silicone Permatex aviation stuff I think. Before you take it anywhere I know a couple of good guys around town if it comes to that. Is it the same leak as before and just as bad? We could also maybe try something a little different with it to locate the leak. I'd hate to see you have to redo your work unless absolutely necessary.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
well i took it to the stealership and they ran a pressure test. The only leak they found was "some aftermarket piping" and could bypass it for $244. Turns out that piping was my coolant filter and i undid where it was leaking and redoped it and put it back together. Its hard for me to believe that all the coolant I saw running down my engine was from a lack of pipe dope!! anyway I got her back and there are no more leaks so I think the problem is fixed! I'm going back home this semester b/c of some medical problems and I feel comfortable driving her. Anyway thanks for the input but my guess is that the rtv had to set up some more and therefor fixed the leak. They also found my A/C wasnt working. Go figure since I havent had a belt on the compressor since I bought the truck.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man Jim, sorry you have to leave. I hope it's nothing too serious. This is one reason I haven't wanted to mess with a coolant filter, just another failure point on the coolant side to contend with, they do offer plenty of benefits. The pressure test is what I was going to suggest next. I hope they didn't charge you an arm and leg for it. Keep in touch with me and I hope you can come back next year if you want to.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online