New water pump still leaking??????

gatorman21218

Reaction score
ARGGGGG i am at my wits end with my cooling system. I have replaced the radiator, all the hoses, the thermostat and the water pump. Its still leaking from the front of the engine somewhere. What could it be? I am gonna take it in on monday because I am tired of messing with it.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When did you replace the water pump? I had to wait about 12 hours for mine to setup, and it has been fine since. Did you use any kinda of glue or gunk on yours?

gatorman21218

Reaction score
yesterday around 5 oclock pm then fired up the truck around 2 in the morning. Yes i used orange rtv on the gaskets

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it for sure coming from the water pump? You might want to try and tighten all the bolts one more time. After the RTV set the bolts were loose so i cranked them down one more time and it was good after that.

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you use sealent on the bolt threads? Shouldn't use any of that slippery silicone for gaskets like that because it can push the gasket right out and then cause a leak. I use either a spray high tack or Copper Coat spray.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What he said^^^.
Silicone is not the fix all for things like they would like you to think. And it is not for gluing gaskets on.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
so if i were to go redo it it would fix the problem hopefully?? where do i get this spray high tack?

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
hold on before you go and redo your work, i have used rtv on water pump gaskets for years without problems, i even replaced the water pump on my truck just recently and i used napa ultra grey high torquertv ot some crap but its really goos stuff,

Check all your houses and make sure they dont have a hole in them or make sure there tight too

BlueCrew

Reaction score
Water Pump bolts are suppose to be torqued at 14ftlbs I just change mine an I used rvt sealant

gatorman21218

Reaction score
for those of you who used rtv did it ever leak for you? I guess what im asking is there any hope for it to be a simple fix? I'm trying to get home and am thisclose to taking it in

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
No i have never had any trouble with aleak, i always clean the block off good make sure to get all the old gasket off and then i put a thin layer of rtv on the water pump and set the gasket on make sure to line it up and be letting the rtv get tacky while thats doing that a put a coat on the block and after i get done stick 2 bolts in the water pump and get it started being careful not to damage the gasket or move it and the get all the bolts started and torque it down

sassyrel

Reaction score
Did you use sealent on the bolt threads? Shouldn't use any of that slippery silicone for gaskets like that because it can push the gasket right out and then cause a leak. I use either a spray high tack or Copper Coat spray.

correct--esp on thicker gaskets--thin ones not so much--

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online