new truck (to me)

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
picked up a 91 'Burban 1500 with the 6.2 and an auto trans for $500
it's going to wear a snow plow and pretty much only be used for that
unsure where to start with it, 484k on the clock, trans was supposedly replaced 30k ago
hard starts, gps cycle for a good 5 seconds and then it's crank for over a minute to get it to start, so it's getting gps next week (along with fuel filter, oil change, etc)
anything else to be done to it? once it starts it runs great, not lacking for power for a 6.2 N/A, so I think the fuel system is decent
last guy who had it put on dual 3" exhaust with glasspacks, and since I'm normally plowing from oh-dark-thirty to oh-dark-thirty it's going to be replaced with a single quiet muffler
is it worth bypassing the gp controller on these to a pushbutton?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I did the pushbutton, as I traded for the engine and the "controller" (red block) was already gone.
Worked great.

I don't remember which plugs I used, but I once left them on while driving, they didn't burn up.
There was a test done on the same plug, ran for like 24 or 48 hours straight and they didn't fry or swell.
Maybe 60g's??? Can't remember.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AC Delco 60g's and Bosch Duraterms are self regulating. 60 G's take a couple seconds longer to reach full heat but not terribly longer and with a push button that you will hold for a 10-15sec count then does it really matter? I can start my 6.5L w/ 290K mile in below 0*F w/o block heater and 12sec of glow time on 60 g's.

Might check timing and install new injectors set at ~2100 for a non turbo engine.