New transmission! FINALLY!

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Most of you know I drive an older Lousiville L9000 set back at work. Not a new truck, but she ain't a moving scrap heap either.

She has 11R22.5 rubber, 4.11 Rockwell 40 rearends and it USED to have a 15 direct.

Cruising speed of 60 MPH was 2100 RPM. Not good for the 3406B Cat under the hood, nor for the fuel mileage.

Before Christmas, the "new guy" took the truck and put it into a jobsite that I wouldn't have gone into, repeatedly. It was pretty bad, but he didn't know any better.

The power divider lock is to get the truck out once it gets stuck, NOT to get in in deeper. I back into the site with it unlocked, once I spin a wheel, I dump off the load, lock the power divider and drive out. Most site foreman HATE me for it, but I will not destroy a truck to keep someone happy.

Anyways, I get the truck back after the young feller had her. It had a slight vibration in it. GREAT!

I thought, maybe it was a tire. Then it got worse and worse. I jacked it up to check the readends. No out of whack lash or any noises.

I stuck the trans in gear and tried to rock the tire to see if the driveline had a slap in the spilies of the slip. CRUNCH! transmission is making lots of noise!!

We tried to find a 15 overdrive to put in her...no luck.

HOWEVER, we came across an RTLO 16913A today!!! We bought it and the truck is getting it stuffed in her as I type this.

I will have a top speed of 96MPH (0.73:1 final drive), a cruising RPM of about 1600 at 60 MPH and I now have TWO overdrive gears (8low 0.86 and 8hi 0.73)

Next is the turbo. I want to find one off a 3406E 550 and turn the torque and delivery screw in a bit...but I need to get a pyro installed in the old girl first. I don't want to blow this thing up, my boss wouldn't be happy.

As it is now with the 15 direct, she will run with a 470 12.7 detroit 60 series from stoplight to stoplight. :D

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I got her back this morning with the new transmission. Night and day difference!! Instead of it running 2100 RPM at 65 MPH, now it's 1500. Not to mention it's GREAT to be able to split the last 4 gears into 8, 1/2 gears.

I ran it upto the 68 MPH limit and barely broke 1600 RPM...it's awsome!

You must be registered for see images attach

This is what she runs at now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel