New to posting and a ZF-5 Swap Question

Petri317

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, everybody. Although I've been a member for a while, this is my first post. But, the great info I've gathered from just lurking around the forum has been essential to my project. I am a senior in High School, and am swapping a 6.9L engine into a 1989 F250(See sig.) for my school's "Senior Project." During this process, I am changing head gaskets, adding ARP studs, new injection pump and injectors, and an ATS turbo (from the 7.3). Before aquiring the red truck, I put in a new LuK clutch kit in the blue truck, along with having the flywheel resurfaced. My question is, can I mate the 6.9L and Solid flywheel to the ZF-5 and reuse the newish clutch from the 6.9, or do I need a special clutch/pressure-plate (and possibly more?) I have looked at past threads, but it seems people have had conflicting experiences/opinions.
Thanks in advance,
Peter A. :D

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You won't be able to use a T-19 clutch setup with a ZF5. :( The ZF flywheel is about double the thickness of the T-19 f/w, and everything else matches that.

I had hoped that I could do something similar when I did my ZF swap last summer (mainly to save $$, since the T-19 clutch was in good shape), but I wound up buying the LuK kit...added $500 to a project that was already way overbudget :mad: but was well worth it ;Sweet

Hope this helps some...good luck! And, even though you were lurking before this post, welcome aboard!!

Magoo

Blind Brain Surgeon
Reaction score
Ditto with the Warden. Keep us informed about your progress. Sounds like a great senior project. You get an A+ from OB just for picking the right project :Sly

Petri317

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Warden-Thanks, I think I'll go the Luk SMFW/clutch kit route. ;Sweet I really don't wan't to screw anything up, especially in the transmission department. Thanks for the helpful words of advice. Your website has been VERY helpful to my project. :hail

Magoo-Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm definitely the only one at my school doing such a topic, and also the only person with an IDI. ;Really Most of the "truck" people at my school didn't know Ford put a diesel in their trucks before the Powerjoke :rolleyes: . I will keep everybody informed on my progress, and I'm sure I will have many many more questions before I finish! :peelout

ClassicIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude I hate you for having that kind of a project in school. -cuss I'm a senior in high school and the kids here don't even know what a Diesel is. We don't have any kind of tech at my school. Oh well at least I have OB. Cool project though hope it works out for you.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
ClassicIDI said:
Dude I hate you for having that kind of a project in school. -cuss I'm a senior in high school and the kids here don't even know what a Diesel is. We don't have any kind of tech at my school. Oh well at least I have OB. Cool project though hope it works out for you.

that's a shame. Our high school had excellent vocational programs. I still they are important to developing a well rounded individual. What part of the country are you in? Some locations really don't agree with my sentiments.

ClassicIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm right outside Denver and I can't think of a school around here that still has any shop class. I go to a trade school for half the day for machining and I do get school credit for it but it is considered a school for drop outs and losers. I just go cause I wanted to learn something different.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Petri317 said:
Warden-Thanks, I think I'll go the Luk SMFW/clutch kit route. ;Sweet I really don't wan't to screw anything up, especially in the transmission department. Thanks for the helpful words of advice. Your website has been VERY helpful to my project. :hail
I'm happy that the site has been of some use :) if there's anything else I can do to help, just let me know! BTW, saw that you're up in Napa...you don't by chance know anyone on the Chaser, do you?

I'm actually working on a write-up on my tranny swap, although I imagine most of it wouldn't apply to your situation since you've already got the tranny in the truck and are just adapting the engine to it (which, other than the flywheel/clutch assembly, is a straight swap). I can't remember if you already mentioned it, but if not, I would suggest changing out the rear main seal while you've got the engine out and the flywheel removed.

ClassicIDI said:
I'm a senior in high school and the kids here don't even know what a Diesel is. We don't have any kind of tech at my school.
I hear that! I was the only kid in my high school with an oilburner (the Scout), and regularly got made fun of for it (it was slow and was a rust bucket from Michigan). I got lucky with my high school, though...it was the only high school in the district that still had a functioning auto shop (although I heard that it was later closed down). There used to be a wood shop and a metal shop, but both had been closed down (got to see the tools collecting dust, though)...it was really sad.

The really funny thing was, courtesy of my Sea Scout unit, half of the auto shop class was review for me (at least the engine stuff)...part of the final was to describe in detail the 4 stroke cycle, and I decided to be a smart-aleck and detail the g@$$er 4 stroke cycle, the diesel 4 stroke cycle, and the diesel 2 stroke cycle. I don't think I got any extra credit, though. ;)

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
Napa -cuss cookoo is your head OK? :rotflmao see ya arround ;Sweet lookin for a 6 speed for my truck :draw 5 gears arn't enough for me :backoff

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
Petri317 said:

Don't forget to find the "the diesel stop" discount code, saves ya some bucks :Sly