New to me truck infamous code 62

anotheridi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I actually have a converter on it's way, it's easy enough for me to just change it before it spreads debris all over the trans, plus it's only about $150 after I get the core charge back.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I actually have a converter on it's way, it's easy enough for me to just change it before it spreads debris all over the trans, plus it's only about $150 after I get the core charge back.

Let us know how your TC install goes - that is probably next on my "to-do" list as well.

anotheridi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds good, while I have the pan open I am going to throw in a transgo shift kit as well, I am doing the install on the 9th, 10th, and 11th. I am not sure how long it will take so I wanted to have a good stretch planned for the install just in case. I will be installing the new IPS sensor tomorrow though so I will have some time with this to find out if that fixes the issue or not, but for what it costs its a good piece of mind, plus the new one has a lifetime warranty, and I have my receipt in my binder. I don't care if the issue is fixed when the torque converter shows up, it will still be going in, as it is an updated unit with good reviews (DACCO), I am sure there are horror stories out there on them too, but I have also seen trained mechanics install a torque converter dry too, so....... This will let me know where my truck stands, I bought it with an unknown history for a great price, it has gotten a radiator, hoses, thermostat, and all new fluids everywhere, so the torque converter is just another item to add to my "maintenance" list. I will also be timing the pump on Monday if the kit from icanfixall shows up early enough (my mailman is never on time). Thank you for everyones help and suggestions, it is all very much appreciated.

anotheridi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the tps or whatever we call it was out of spec was set at 1.03 low end and would only get to around 2.94 volts so I changed it out and the new one is set at 1.2 on the low end and gets to 4.15 volts but not the 4.5 it's supposed to, I figure this is close enough. It did not did the tc issue though so replacement will still be next on the list.

anotheridi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The RPM sensor can be responsible for a code 62 as well, I have recently learned.

Yes that has been changed recently and I can actually feel the converter shuddering now. Will probably have to park it until I can replace the converter, I don't need the converter throwing it's parts throughout the trans.

anotheridi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Dr. Tranny shudder fix (I heard it was mostly designed for this issue from ford) I am planning on flushing the trans when I do the converter, obviously, so I was thinking of giving it a shot for a week? I've read good things about it, but i will still be replacing the converter.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Dr Tranny is a band aid, it will only mask the problem.

If you're getting a shudder, park it. If you continue to drive it there is a good chance that the converter will fail completely. Sending crud through the tranny.

mccall52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your voltage sweep across your adjusted TPS looks good to me. I don't think it's unusual to have as low as 3.75-3.80 volts WOT.

anotheridi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your voltage sweep across your adjusted TPS looks good to me. I don't think it's unusual to have as low as 3.75-3.80 volts WOT.

Thank you I know that's not my problem but I was beginning to wonder if it would become an issue in the future, thanks for the reassurement. I'll try to take a few pics when I install the new converter, I'll also be installing a diamond eye catback, by welding on the oem flange.

anotheridi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
who you getting the torque converter from? Will be doing mine in the spring.

I just got the Dacco one from rockauto, I would probably go with something a little better if I thought the trans would go more than 40k more, but I highly doubt it. When I do a full rebuild more money will be spent on an upgraded converter.

anotheridi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright pulled the trans and installed the transgo tugger kit and a new torque converter, the old one was quite discolored on the stud side, looks like it was getting hot. The trans is sitting back in the truck , tomorrow I'll get it buttoned back up and will report what the outcome is. In all honesty you can tell the trans is a bit tired but the clutch packs still had good meat on them, so I think the goal of 40k more is acheiveable.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Discoloration is from the clutch slipping. This is very common on stock converters. It a sign that the clutch is failing.

make sure you instal the converter regulator spring from the Tugger kit. This will prevent this from happening again.

anotheridi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We installed the full tugger kit except the snap rings, so I'm excited to see how it shifts today

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726