New to me truck infamous code 62

anotheridi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My brothers truck just started flashing a code 62, the trans has been rebuilt at sometime and the fluid looks great, but I can feel the convertor shuddering when going uphill in overdrive. My question is, do people replace transmissions on these trucks and reuse a converter if it's not bad? I'm thinking of just replacing the converter as it looks oem because the trans works fine, also this is my little brothers truck and he is only 20 so he is short on money, I'm just glad he chose a truck for cash rather than a car payment. This is a 94 factory turbo 4x4 if that helps. I would also put a transgo kit in while I'm in there. Thanks for any input. O mileage is 162k

anotheridi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the link I have searched most code 62 posts but somehow missed this one, once I check over the truck with that links info I'll post my results.

anotheridi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright dropped the pan and cleaned that connector, I could not even see the connector there was so much build up, when I got to it and opened it there was plenty of moisture, but the pins looked good. I cleaned the plugs put lots of tape and scotch guard around the plug so no moisture can get in. The wiring is good now. As far as dropping the pan, the magnet had only what I would think was friction material on it, and the fluid was still red and still smelt like trans fluid. I got done late, so we will find out tomorrow how it does, wouldn't it be a great Christmas present if that was the issue?

anotheridi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright took it for a test drive yesterday, and all was well, hopefully the light and the problem stay away, once it makes it a week I am going the flush the fluid for good measure.

anotheridi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Code 62 is back once again, and it was felt once again going uphill under load, so I'm guessing torque converter is on it's way out, I'm thinking of doing a cheaper one off rockauto for now, and saving for a rebuilt trans.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's how my experience went. The only other "cheap" possible fix I can come up with is replacing the solenoid pack. But, the transmission rebuild might be necessary and/ or maybe even a new torque converter.

1994 Ford F250, 2wd, 7.3L IDI, NA, E4OD

2006 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer, 2wd, 5.4L, automatic

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is the truck kicking down? Unless you're doing 70 uphill I don't think it should be in overdrive. My truck was doing the same thing. Before you pull the trans adjust the voltage on your tps. The shift points can be adjusted a little. I'm sure somebody with more electrical knowhow will chime in.

anotheridi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will try this but the tps is the newer style and voltage is within spec, it does not hurt to try again though. Thanks for the idea

anotheridi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And it happened on the interstate at about 69mph uphill, you can feel it shuddering before it downshifts, then the of light flashes.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And it happened on the interstate at about 69mph uphill, you can feel it shuddering before it downshifts, then the of light flashes.

What your saying sounds like an electrical problem rather than a TC problem. Cancell the OD when it does that, cancelling OD will make it shift down. Could be very well the TC lockup don't know what to do.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine responds almost exactly like his and I'm convinced it's electronic. I would think if it were mechanical it would happen all of the time; which mine does not. O/D cancel prevents it for sure and it doesn't even always happen on every hill. My only his is to replace the solenoid pack itself. I'm pretty well at a loss otherwise.

1994 Ford F250, 2wd, 7.3L IDI, NA, E4OD

2006 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer, 2wd, 5.4L, automatic

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
test the solenoid first before just replacing the pack.even if you don't want to buy a spare wire repair harness.you can always just drop the pan,pull the pack and test the pins directly.

anotheridi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will do this, I've got a new tps to try in case there is a dead spot the meter can't read, then when I drop the pan again, I'll pull the solenoid pack and test

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
but I can feel the convertor shuddering when going uphill in overdrive.

I am also chasing a code 62 problem with my truck, and I am trying to learn more about the E4OD too. But, if you can feel the converter shuddering, I would "think" this would mean the converter is going bad. That is one of the tell-tale signs that the trans gurus on here mentioned as indicating a converter on its way out. Good luck with your testing and diagnosis. Once the electrical stuff is eliminated as a possible problem, you have to look to the mechanical as the culprit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online