NEW to Ford Diesel; 7.3 IDI Turbo Looking for Tips

nicksorenson

Reaction score
I just bought my first Ford diesel. It seems like an Excellent engine. I've owned several Mercedes diesels and have learned quite a bit. But I don't know much about the IDI I just purchased (94 F-250 turbo diesel).

First, what are some things I can do to keep this thing in good shape? Is there anything I should change?

Second, I've got some air in the fuel system. It's a little hard starting after it sits for 10 minutes or so and white smoke on startup. How do I trace down those darn leaks?

Third, there is oil build up on the Turbo Oil feed line. Is that normal? Also oil in the turbine housing... Just wondering if I need to do something about it.

Lastly, the Overdrive clicks out once in a while. IT seems like the thumb switch on the shifter has a dirty contact. Is this probable?

Thanks so much!!
Nick

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site, and to the IDI world. Read the FAQ's at the top of the forum, and check out our technical articles libary. Fill out your profile some so we can see where abouts your from, and put a signiture in your profile with your truck info. Air leaks are common, and there is a lot of threads here on the subject. The forum search works extremely well compared to some other sites. ;Sweet

nicksorenson

Reaction score
I just tried to add to my signature but it's not showing up. Not sure on that one... (ok... Now it's there. Nevermind)

Also, after I posted I found the 7.3 Info on the top. Great Articles! I hope I don't have cavitation.

Another note... I have leaks around my injector bypass sleeves. I've searched before and that appears to be bad o-rings.

Now what is the best O-ring material for U.L.S.Diesel? Viton, Nitrile, etc? Harbor freight o-ring kit work?

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford sells the O-ring kits. I doubt Chinese O-rings would long last exposed to diesel fuel.

The O-rings are probably where your air is getting in. When the motor is off gravity pulls the fuel down in these lines and if there are leaks it will pull air in.

nicksorenson

Reaction score
Just installed. Those are the right specs.

Great,
I saw you posted a link to MSC a while back... is that the right size for these injectors:

Specs the link gave:
7/16" inside diameter
3/32" thickness

Is that right?

I think I'm gonna try viton

Ford sells the O-ring kits. I doubt Chinese O-rings would long last exposed to diesel fuel.

The O-rings are probably where your air is getting in. When the motor is off gravity pulls the fuel down in these lines and if there are leaks it will pull air in.

Last edited:

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OD kicking in and out is not good. Mine did that before the trans finally went, someone has probibly gotten it hot through-out its life. I would change the fluid and filter, put on a bigger cooler, and install a remote filter with a temp gauge. The E4OD is expencive to replace, but if its taken care of is a great transmission. Mine has been upgraded to 4R100 specs, and I have done all of the above since it was rebuilt. Keep your fluid clean and cool and it will last a long time.