New speedo gear suuuuuuuucks

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the photos! Looks like a lot more work than the speedo gear was... grrr. Good call on the tail shaft seal as mine leaks a little anyway.
Did you have to drop the tcase or is it doable in the pickup?
Totally doable in place. It’s not that big a job. Getting the drive shaft out was probably the hardest part. My little electric impact made short work of the housing. Just had to clean the sealant off the surfaces then reseal on the way back.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Totally doable in place. It’s not that big a job. Getting the drive shaft out was probably the hardest part. My little electric impact made short work of the housing. Just had to clean the sealant off the surfaces then reseal on the way back.
Awesome, thank you! Is it just RTV to seal?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s what I used. I’m a permatex ultra black kinda guy but whatever you like that’s rated for transmission fluid.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
On my BW 1345, you don't have to remove any part of the transfer case itself. You just drop the driveshaft, remove the yoke on the output, and pull the seal. The gear slips out the back.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my BW 1345, you don't have to remove any part of the transfer case itself. You just drop the driveshaft, remove the yoke on the output, and pull the seal. The gear slips out the back.
Wicked! That's fantastic.

Edit: just realized I have the 1356 but I'm sure the concept is the same, they look nearly identical. And if need be re sealing that housing is very straight forward.

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm not sure about a 1356. I had one for a while and sold it since I wasn't using it.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pic I posted was a 1356. Look up how to do it on YouTube. There’s a trick to getting the gear off the shaft. Don’t loose the little ball bearing that holds it on there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle