New Performance Cams for IDI, Not a Regrind. Interest??

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did a search didn't find a aftrmarket cam for the psd, if you tryed a regrind The problem you will run into on the psd is the computer. if you change the cam timing the injection sequence of events will change. the cam position sensor will still see the cam but the event timing will be different than the stock cam. don't know what would happen. the computer might get confused. :puke::rotflmao

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Did a search didn't find a aftrmarket cam for the psd, if you tryed a regrind The problem you will run into on the psd is the computer. if you change the cam timing the injection sequence of events will change. the cam position sensor will still see the cam but the event timing will be different than the stock cam. don't know what would happen. the computer might get confused. :puke::rotflmao

The CPS uses a tone ring on the end of the cam shaft. If regrind the cam, the signal will be the same. No confusion for the computer.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone who has their engine apart should really test and see if that PSD cam fits. that would be pretty cool lol.

DragRag

Reaction score
I doubt it will since I think the psd pistons are dished, and they claim on the site that the pistons will still need to be modified to have proper clearance. Exactly what I am trying to avoid having to do when designing a cam with more lift for the idi. No one seems to be offering that info up if they have it on piston clearance. Bummer.....I was hoping this would be easy.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've added a link to this thread in our forum FAQ.

built4tq1

Reaction score
http://www.diyporting.com/PVC.html

I'm sure many already have an idea on how to achieve piston to valve clearance, However i stumbled across this article to find it fairly interesting. If nobody comes up with these Numbers soon I will check them when I arrive back home after vacationing.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Built4tq1 wondered if anyone made a VE pump. Idk bout that but I do know know I saw a P pump on a Powerstroke.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
I will be looking at doing this soon. Have both at my finger tips. :D

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
N/a with cam, port polish, long tube headers and cowl intake, my truck moves very fast. LOL

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are now three cams available. The Typ4 cam is a lower rpm cam that was build originally for NA engine but seems to make really good power on even turbocharged trucks. I am curious what it would do in a high horsepower application.

There is also the J2 cam, which is more of a higher rpm cam. There is some dynamic compression bleed off with that cam. It makes nice power in high power applications and pushes the horsepower and torque curves up a few hundred rpm.

There is also the R&D Performance Stage 1 cam. It is more of a low to mid-range cam. It, like the J2 cam, was built for use with a turbo. It also will bleed a little compression but not quite as much as the J2.

Overall, all three cams are really good cams and have better power curves than stock. It just depends what you want from your engine and where you want the power to be.