New Performance Cams for IDI, Not a Regrind. Interest??

alwaysdiesel

The new guy
Reaction score
So with the latest two cams, they bleed compression to allow more air or what? A cam with a better bleed would work good with non ported cylinders because they have high compression? Sorry it's a little late, hope I worded that half decently :dunno Sounds like each cam has it's purpose in these trucks. I find my truck could use some grunt down low especially with the 35s and granny first gear but I'd also like that mid end powerband. The new moose pump sure woke the truck up, but these cams seems interesting. If/ when I build up a 6.9 or 7.3 and go full out I'd be getting a cam for sure so just some questions. Some low end umph of Typ4s cam would make me :D :sly

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
without any timing events to look at I am not taking anyones word on how they work, No information is available to be able to make a decision wich cam is suited to a specific application. I agree ZOMBIE THREAD

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So with the latest two cams, they bleed compression to allow more air or what? A cam with a better bleed would work good with non ported cylinders because they have high compression? Sorry it's a little late, hope I worded that half decently :dunno Sounds like each cam has it's purpose in these trucks. I find my truck could use some grunt down low especially with the 35s and granny first gear but I'd also like that mid end powerband. The new moose pump sure woke the truck up, but these cams seems interesting. If/ when I build up a 6.9 or 7.3 and go full out I'd be getting a cam for sure so just some questions. Some low end umph of Typ4s cam would make me :D :sly

just look at my sig for the PROVEN dyno numbers, racin was also there. and I have a stock pump turned wide open so with a moose it would be even better. Ill be doing a new build with the mid range justin cam as I am going with a bigger turbo and other stuff.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
without any timing events to look at I am not taking anyones word on how they work, No information is available to be able to make a decision wich cam is suited to a specific application. I agree ZOMBIE THREAD

If you spent a shitload of time designing/modding a grind to work would you want to post timing numbers so they could be taken anywhere to be copied.?
I have posted the grind they gave me several times.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just look at my sig for the PROVEN dyno numbers, racin was also there. and I have a stock pump turned wide open so with a moose it would be even better. Ill be doing a new build with the mid range justin cam as I am going with a bigger turbo and other stuff.

I look forward to your build Russ. Is the reason you are going with Justin's cam instead of yours due to the slight amount of cam bleed and the different timing? Also are you going with a Db4 for fuel?

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yep essentially lowering dynamic compression due to the cam bleed off will allow you to run more boost by not having as much pressure in the cylinder at the same boost level. Plus with that you can have more oxygen from the added boost...

Black dawg

Reaction score

Even if the cam reduces cranking compression, that does not mean that dynamic compression is also less. Cylinder pressure will be higher where the cam is adding power over the stock grind.

Torinojts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are now three cams available. The Typ4 cam is a lower rpm cam that was build originally for NA engine but seems to make really good power on even turbocharged trucks. I am curious what it would do in a high horsepower application.

There is also the J2 cam, which is more of a higher rpm cam. There is some dynamic compression bleed off with that cam. It makes nice power in high power applications and pushes the horsepower and torque curves up a few hundred rpm.

There is also the R&D Performance Stage 1 cam. It is more of a low to mid-range cam. It, like the J2 cam, was built for use with a turbo. It also will bleed a little compression but not quite as much as the J2.

Overall, all three cams are really good cams and have better power curves than stock. It just depends what you want from your engine and where you want the power to be.

I am in the middle of a rebuild right now. I would like some performance but also reliable. Will be pulling a car trlr with a pickup or car on occasions and also a 5th wheel camper. Would like to cruise around the 65mph area. What cam do I choose? Will have heads studs, would like to get a pump from R&D or Moose. Will have factory turbo.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
torino ,You need the torque cam for that, your type of driving is what I do with my 4x4. You could really benefit from the compressor wheel mod I do also. Not trying to sell,, just the facts of having nearly 100k on my combo.

88ford, i may be going with the stage 1 cam , wont know till I pick a gear ratio, and this dually will be a c6 with a tight convertor im going to have built, so I will want boost down low, qoing to stuff a BIG turbine wheel in an 093 turbine housing and use a to4e compressor side. on a used engine that will get studs and springs , soooo, hope it stays together.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i bought a 2wd dually to pack the camper, it has a 460, about 3 gpm with aburnt valve, so I have a spare diesel to plant in there and want to play with some stuff and prove it before offering any for the masses.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
torino ,You need the torque cam for that, your type of driving is what I do with my 4x4. You could really benefit from the compressor wheel mod I do also. Not trying to sell,, just the facts of having nearly 100k on my combo.

88ford, i may be going with the stage 1 cam , wont know till I pick a gear ratio, and this dually will be a c6 with a tight convertor im going to have built, so I will want boost down low, qoing to stuff a BIG turbine wheel in an 093 turbine housing and use a to4e compressor side. on a used engine that will get studs and springs , soooo, hope it stays together.

Interesting. Any idea on what wheel sizes you are gonna go with?

Torinojts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typ4 I was leaning towards your way for a cam. Will send my core your way once I get my balancing paid for. Also would like to clay my pistons with old cam first. Turbo wheel also sounds like an excellent idea.

Good luck on your engine build.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ok Russ.. I recall you buying the crewcab a few months back. Sounds like a worthy build and I really want to see the dyno results like everyone else.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online