New non-emergency air (i think) issue... Want to do this slow and right.

N.E fjord-by-fjord 2fiddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yikes.

OK. When I start the project I will post pics. I doubt that cavitation is happening. I was super paranoid about it when I got her, and for over a year she has had the premixed Zerex 150k coolant in her that has the anti-cav additive in it... I did that when I threw the champion radiator in. I check it's level every time I run her, and I haven't lost a drop in that whole period.

When the smoke clears (pun intended) I half expect the problem to be that there were a few different spots where air was intruding, and that my valve system was in dire need of attention. I know I need a new IP and BB's... which would help and be great to have, but the $ just isn't there right now for me.

For now I'm going to focus on the checklist and eliminate the air/oil issues...

I will update as I go. Thanks again.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just because you put a new lift pump on don't make good. We've seen several threads lately on bad new mechanical pumps. Check your fuel pressure.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ordered that one from Jegs and it is on back order and they keep pushing the ship date out. Everyone else was the same. I am currently waiting on this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004PZ9ARK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also thought about this:

http://www.amazon.com/Auto-Meter-26...426962285&sr=1-4&keywords=pyrometer+gauge+kit

go through e-bay...
no back order issues.
if its on there, its avaliable.

had this happen to a EBPV delete pedestal on a SD, everywhere was back ordered,
e-bay was 20 dollars more, but it was shipped free, and at my door 3 days later.

N.E fjord-by-fjord 2fiddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just because you put a new lift pump on don't make good. We've seen several threads lately on bad new mechanical pumps. Check your fuel pressure.

Yep. Learning that first hand. The pressure it's delivering has decreased dramatically already in under 200mi since install. Ridiculous.

My GF in napa parking lot before install: "your truck was idling really weird... it sounded like it wanted to die so i pumped the throttle a couple times"
My GF after install that day: "Yeah, it seems way better than before"
I thought I was in the clear! So wrong.

I was in napa today for wiper blades. I asked the guy to look up the warranty on the lift pump... He says "it's covered. bring it in and we'll give you a new one"

Don't think I want one! I want my money...

I'm installing a Carter P4070 electric pump. Good review from Agnem, and I trust his judgement. I know everyone else gets a ***** when they can see the prime... but I could care less. The Carter pump is American made, and it puts out 6 psi so I wont need a regulator... Good enough for me.

So long mechanical lift pump! I was actually thinking of getting the ingredients together and making some thermite, and then using it on the mech pump... I want to send it into the netherworld in the most spectacular fashion possible.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The facet pumps I believe are made in USA too. I think that's what it said on the box. Just an FYI. I don't have a dog in the hunt. I was torn between a carter and the facet but what tipped me to the duralift was the dry lift height. That means I can put it up under the hood where it's easy to get at. Good luck. Wisdom of the forum seems to be electric lift pump is the best mod you can do. Given the failure rate lately of the mechanical pumps, it seems to be true for multiple reasons. Hope I find out soon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.