new member...new project

Tackdriver

Reaction score
I purchased a 1994 F250 XLT 4x4 with a blown 7.3 l idi turbo engine last year and have finally have time to start the project. On initial inspection coolant and oil were found in the air cleaner and turbo housing. On teardown i found
the blown head gasket on the left bank, on the right bank one cylinder was sooted and the rings collapsed(stuck solid). I need to rebuild. I have one
1986 spare engine (came with truck). Which block should i use the 1994 or the 1986? I have read about the different castings and the #'s correspond to the articles.
Also any reasonably priced rebuild kit suppliers names would be helpful as many companies are price gouging for parts

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The '86 will be a 6.9l, not a 7.3l. Smaller cylinders, smaller headbolts, etc. In fact, just about all of the external parts are interchangeable, but I think the only internal parts that will work on both engines are the camshaft, the valvetrain (except the valves themselves), and maybe the crankshaft.

Factory turbo engines have different connecting rods, with a larger pin at the piston end. Ford doesn't make them anymore, so they're rather hard to find...if yours are good, use them, by all means!!

For that reason, and the larger cylinder head bolts, I would stick with the 7.3l engine. Since you're tearing it apart, I'd go ahead and have it resleeved...this way, you minimize the chances of it cavitating on you. IIRC someone actually took a 7.3l block and sleeved it thick enough to use 6.9l pistons. IMHO this isn't a bad idea; the thicker the cylinder walls are, the less likely you'll see cavitation someday (SCA's generally work, but I recall hearing stories of people who used and maintained SCA's and still had an engine cavitate, so I figure, may as well play every card you have), and the power ratings are not very different between the two engines (10 horsepower, and I think about 20 ft-lbs of torque). Not sure if you can get 6.9l pistons with the thicker pins, though.

Just some thoughts for you...hope it helps some :) good luck!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online