new member maintenance tips for 94 Super Duty, 377,000 miles

Huntman12

Reaction score
This is my first Diesel and second Ford I have owned. I bought a used twelve foot flatbed to tow my 37 foot toyhauler. I have since taken the flat bed off and Installed my 5th wheel hitch. The motor runs out great an now I would like some advice as to what type of maintenance I should perform to keep the motor and drive train running smooth. The transmission was just rebuilt.cookoo

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So is this a 94 F-Superduty (old 10 Lug 450, 14,500lbs GVW?) and are you sure its an IDI or is it an early PSD? At 377,000 miles it sounds like it must have been well maintained. I'd say just keep changing the oil and keep up the supplemental coolant additives in the cooling system(SCA/DCA4). Towcat is our resident expert as he has used a few of these in his towing/mechanic business. Couple other guys have them and seem to like them except for the high cost of insurance and registration in some states. What transmission was just rebuilt ZF5 or E4OD?

Huntman12

Reaction score
Sorry its a 93 Superduty. Yep its got lots of lugs. I got it because its got the most tow capacity for the money. trans code is e. The ford part guy said it could be an e40d or a 4r100. I don't under stand how he is unable to tell me? Also theirs a little confusion about the rear diff. The code on the newbie portion of this forum states code "73" is a dana 6300. The parts guy at ford said it is a dana 5.13. Any Ideas? I need tochange the diff gasket.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 4R100 didn't come out until 99, it's really just an update of the E4OD, which is what's in your truck.
As for your rear end, a 6300lb rated axle is definitley not what's in your truck, that's a D60. Your truck has a Dana 80, and 5.13's are one of the 2 ratios offered for it, the other that was available was 4.88.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
huntman where in oregon are you located? I live in beaverton and work near portland international. If you are close you need to meet type4 in newberg, and myself. Type4 is a wealth of knowledge, and Im just kinda nutz. Let me know if you need anything.

punk

Huntman12

Reaction score
e40d tran

Towcat is our resident expert as he has used a few of these in his towing/mechanic business. Couple other guys have them and seem to like them except for the high cost of insurance and registration in some states. What transmission was just rebuilt ZF5 or E4OD?[/QUOTE said:
Yea, how reliable are these (E40D) for towing 13000# 5th wheel? It seems not to know when to down shift. I usually have to manualy do it. Any one else have that problem?

Huntman12

Reaction score
North Bend

huntman where in oregon are you located? I live in beaverton and work near portland international. If you are close you need to meet type4 in newberg, and myself. Type4 is a wealth of knowledge, and Im just kinda nutz. Let me know if you need anything.

punk

Thanks! I'm in North Bend.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, how reliable are these (E40D) for towing 13000# 5th wheel? It seems not to know when to down shift. I usually have to manualy do it. Any one else have that problem?

The fipl may need adjusting, also the trans electric connections need to be cleaned and lubed. There are setting procedures for the fipl, I have done one years ago but someone will chime in with the info. The trans can be fine if it has been rebuilt and upgraded, which is likely with that many miles. There are some good upgrades for the turbo to make more power. Also read the threads on colling system maintenance.
I am a duner so you will have to come to the campground next time I am down. ;Sweet

Smokey73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fipl acts like a tps. It's what tells the trans controller that the engine is at wot so it will downshift. It's on the driver's side of the fuel pump. There's a tech article on exactly how to adjust, but basicly what you do is take a volt meter and, with the engine off, read the output voltage of the fipl. You want it at about 1 volt at lidle and about 4 volts at wide open throttle. Also, you want to make sure that you have a gray one and not a black one, the gray one is the latest one.

Towing that much weight, make sure you run some sort of aux trans cooler. E40D's are prone to failure due to heat, if you keep it cool, it'll last a long time

Last edited:

Huntman12

Reaction score
trans cooler

The fipl acts like a tps. It's what tells the trans controller that the engine is at wot so it will downshift. It's on the driver's side of the fuel pump. There's a tech article on exactly how to adjust, but basicly what you do is take a volt meter and, with the engine off, read the output voltage of the fipl. You want it at about 1 volt at lidle and about 4 volts at wide open throttle. Also, you want to make sure that you have a gray one and not a black one, the gray one is the latest one.

Towing that much weight, make sure you run some sort of aux trans cooler. E40D's are prone to failure due to heat, if you keep it cool, it'll last a long time
Yea thanks, It has a trans cooler as well as an inline filter outside the radiator another one may be cheap insurance. I'd like to put a gauge on it to see the temp. One thing I also think is odd is that it makes a humming sound after pullin hard for about five minutes. I think it has to do with the trans temp.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online