New member from Oregon...87' F-350 Crew 4x4

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
Howdy from the PNW, been reading through the IDI forum for a few days and figured its time for an introduction. A little background on myself, I am a Heavy Truck Mechanic by trade for the last 8 years. Had the opportunity to spend time back in Chicago and received some factory training from Navistar before working at the local International Truck dealer...which is where I was finally introduced to the IDI motors (Usually when an old farmer or logging outfit brought their shop truck in LOL).
I loved the simplicity and affordability of parts and couldn't help but be impressed by their durability....

So fast forward a few years and here I am...

After a handful of Gas-Powered 1/2-Tons I finally had a chance to buy my first Diesel Truck. I found what I consider to be a pretty rare rig, considering its age and how well taken care of it is. So here's the breakdown,

1987 F-350 4x4 Crew-Cab Long-Box Lariat w/ all the options
6.9 IDI 193k, Banks Sidewinder w/ waste gate and "Ram Air" box. New Delphi Injectors, Glow plug Controller & misc other little parts. 3.5" Straight Pipe.
C-6 Trans w/ Gear Vendors OD...shifts nice and firm
Isspro Boost, EGT, Trans Temp & Oil Psi Gauges on the center dash.
4.10 gears, 285/75/R16 Toyos on newer factory alloys
Firestone Overload bags...

I still can't believe how straight and clean the truck is, seems like it was owned by someone older and well taken care of. About the only things I dislike about it are the interior has some dated homemade looking wood center console...and the front seats remind me of motorhome seats but I have to admit they were nice and comfy on the 200mile trip I took yesterday, I do think they are factory though. Did ford offer different interior packages on some trucks?

So far things have gone well with the truck, its my daily driver for now. Had to take care or some fuel leaks on the injector return lines (a full kit is in order) and I'm thinking the IP is weeping some fuel as well.

Future plans are up in the air, been thinking about the Moose JR Pump, move the gauges to the pillar, leveling the front and maybe some 35" tires...but mostly just drive and enjoy it.

Anyways, just wanted to say Hi...I'm already picking up some great knowledge from you guys so thanks!
Here's a quick picture...I'll have to grab an interior shot to share too.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
What does the emblem above f350 say?

If they're the "bucket seats," yes some came factory. I think only the lariat trucks.

And welcome to OB.

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
The emblem says "Turbo Diesel" in kinda big swoopy lettering...not sure where they came from or who made them.
The seats are buckets and I believe may have a ford tag on them, both sides are powered also. I forgot to mention it has a long wooden overhead console, kinda neat except when you hit your head on it jumping in the front seats.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I bet it was a factory conversion.
Some reason I've gone blank and can't remember the company name.

Same people that made the 3rd row f350's. IIRC.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That might be a Centurion style interior that Ford made. With that year 6.9 plus the gear vendors and the wastegated turbo you have the best of all worlds. The best trans. The best aux trans. The best 6.9 too. As or the Moose Jr you can easily run with the Bull Moose without issues. Many have done it. I have run two Moose Pumps. They now are referanced as the Bull Moose because Mel has several Moose Pumps to offer. I really want to try the Baby Moose now. As for a return line kit try typ4 aka Russ. He lives in Oregon too and is very well thought of on this forum. He rebuilds many of the turbos here and sells Delphi injecters along with the best return line kit anywhere. Mel does the same thing thru his shop called Conestoga Diesel in Pa. He also is a great guy and both Russ and Mel are fair business people to deal with. Please read the Hall of Shame forum to undrstand why not to buy from some of the ebay sellers. Thier business dealings with some of our emebers is what got them "listred" in that forum. We did not put them there. They put themselves there by the poor customer treatment. If you live close engough the Russ you might give him a chance to look over your truck. Hes built many of the idi engines. If you change the injection pump the engine will need to be timed Russ has a kent moore timing meter and may help with the timing too. In closeing I say nice rig and welcome to the best Ford idi forum on the web.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Oilburners. That's a nice truck you've got, it was obviously taken care of.

There's more good info on the IDI and good people willing to share what they know on this forum than any other forum out there. Stick around here long enough and you'll learn more about your truck than you would have thought possible.

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
What town? ;Sweet

I live in Aumsville, just east of Salem. Work in Salem...I'll have to talk to you about how you leveled your truck.

icanfixall - Appreciate the advice. Haven't discovered the Bull Moose yet , I'll have to do some more reading sounds like. typ4 isn't very far from me at all over in Newberg, I'll have to try and get in touch with him well. Sounds like I like in a decent location for IDI knowledge and parts ;)
Already been browsing the Wall of Shame, great resource and idea.

Thanks for the warm.welcome guys, I'll definitely be sticking around :)

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
I started out at Brattain, than went to work for a forklift outfit in a service truck. I work for my family now on Garbage Trucks.

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah ok, I caught the international dealer part and they are the only one I knew of in town and our competitor but we get a lot of parts through them.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to OB, you have a wonderful truck there and with some care it will provide years of good service.

Kick back enjoy the site get to know some of the guys n few gals too.

Got questions post em...got answers to questions...post em

Most of all have fun

Again welcome to OB

Al

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, great looking truck. Is that a factory paint or repaint? I like the color. I have been trying to come up with a color for my poor old rig.

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
Factory color, new paint. It was originally two-tone with a light tan. Nice thing is the current color still matches all the door jams etc.