new injector pump

jnkyrdfourd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just got my warrantied injector pump installed and primed the pump, got it to start and it ran pretty good alot better than the last pump, its alot more responsive, idled good, so i shut it off to adjust the tps and started it back up and it is running like it has a misfire ? check for leaks or anything disconnected but couldnt find anything.
it starts right up just has a mis. any suggestions ?:dunno

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
While it's running, loosen your injector lines a little one by one (be careful, the high pressure spray can get under your skin and give you blood poisoning)
If you loosen one, and it doesn't change how it's running. Then you've found a bad injector.

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was told this on here just a couple weeks ago, just use your hand to feel for the hottest line(s)... It works, i burnt the **** out of my fingers when i go to the stuck open injector.. replaced it and truck idled smooth again.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That will work if the injector is stuck open, but a leaker cannot be found that way.

jnkyrdfourd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i checked my injectors today by the method suggested above and found the # 4 injector not up to ***** and the # 3 injector leaking around the copper washer .
apparently mine is not stuck open because all the injector lines stay about the same temps while its running.

Last edited:

jnkyrdfourd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i went to change out my injector pump again and pulled the pump and the drive shaft pulled out of the pump, what holds the shaft in the pump ? it just seems like there is nothing locking the shaft in place or at least not on this pump.

diezelcrazee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i went to change out my injector pump again and pulled the pump and the drive shaft pulled out of the pump, what holds the shaft in the pump ? it just seems like there is nothing locking the shaft in place or at least not on this pump.

The 7.3 Ford DB2 pump has an internal snap ring that holds the shaft in. If you look close to the end, there is a groove for the retainer ring. Should not have come out, if its the warranted pump then its time to take it back where you got it.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You didn't forget to take the 3 bolts out of the IP gear did you? This shaft, does it still have a tang on the end of it? Maybe you snapped the shaft? Pictures would be good. But yes, by and large you pretty much need a new IP.

jnkyrdfourd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach
im changing the pump do to faulty pumps, i had the 3 bolt out of the gear, yes the tang is still on the end , the shaft looks good and the internals look good fromm what i could see. i have the warranted pump already installed, am going out to bleed the lines here shortly and see what happens ! so it wasnt an injector as previosly thought, hopefully this will work and i wont have to do ip # 4

Last edited:

diezelcrazee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not following you completely on what your are doing, however please understand that if the pump in your pictures is the one you are running, you can't just stick the shaft back in the pump and it work.

Besides the possibility of it going back in 180 degrees out of time with the rotor, there is a snap ring, a bellville spring washer, a thrust washer and a bronze washer all in there, and if that shaft just pulled out, then these items will not be in their proper order. The pump will have to be disassembled to reinstall the shaft correctly.

jnkyrdfourd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
diezelcrazee : no i am not trying to use that pump, i already warranted it and installed the new pump.
this is the third pump to be warranted and installed.