New inj. pump

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New pump finally came friday. Gonna try to do it tomorrow. Done alot of work on diesels but never installed IP before. Wish me luck!

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DON't remove the IP Gear Cover!!!!! You will have to retime the entire engine. BIG can O worms if you take it off... only remove the three bolts on the gear that hold the pump to the gear, and three on the back side to release the pump from the cover. Leave the gear alone.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
yes, to get to the gear-to-pump bolts you have to remove the oil filler neck from the gear housing. then you need a 5/16 12 point socketto remove the bolts. don't remove the gear housing and don't let the timing gear move in relation to the cam gear. it's an easy swap otherwise.

good luck

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too late! The previous owner already had the pump removed when I bought the truck. Man, I wish he had left it alone!!! All he said was it died so he assumed it was the pump. I really couldn't even run any tests. Reading in Chilton manual. Astatic timing,dynamic timing, injection timing. Looks rather intimidating or am I making it harder than it is? I know enuogh about diesels to know that timing is critical. I don't want to mess anything up. Any advice would a blessing!!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well... You have a can of worms now but its not your doing so... First off you need to get the motor at top dead center by using the timing tab down near the vacuum pump. Then you need a very thin mirror and look down into the cam gear area. You hopefully can see the timing mark on the cam gear... Its a "Y" just like found on the injection pump gear. Those need to be aligned. There is a great diagram on here of what this looks like. Someone will direct you to that. Its not really a hard job.... Just take some time trying to get the marks lined up. When your sure the marks are aligned then install the aluminum injection pump gear cover that the injection pump connects to... Make darn sure the sealing areas are clean and use plenty of RTV. The gear wont move off the cam gear but it may rotate from side to side. Just as long as its timed things will be fine. Do not mistake the crank to cam gear timing marks. That will put the pump to cam 180 degrees out of time... You need the "Y" marks... Not the dots marks... Ask questions if you have any... Its easier to ask that redo the gear timing later....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online