New Hooves for the Moose Truck

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea. That's basically what I learned. I had shown off a 16 X 10 X 8.5 at the rally last summer.....
You must be registered for see images

And that is what I thought I was going to be able to run with, but come to find out 16" tire selection is not that good, and they are on borrowed time as well. I really liked the 10" wide rims better, as they were more like what I had, but for some dumb reason, they won't make a 17" any wider than an 8. :dunno In short, I never really found what I wanted, and just had to settle for what I could get.

Russ... here's the real shocker. There are NO.... NO manufacturers of alluminum wheels for our trucks in the U.S.A. anymore. They are ALL from China, and at best some, such as these wheels are alledgedly cast in China, then machine finished here, but pretty much like so many other things, we just don't make them here anymore. I was really bummed, but not surprised. I became a hostage of the tire market. And no I'm not happy about it.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
those are more my style. and i didnt know that about 17s. learn something new everyday i guess LOL

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
i was dead set on 37x12.5x16....yeah they were hard to find. cookoo i am happy with my Iroks, but rumor is Super Swampers are disappearing. :mad: i like smaller wheels and bigger rubber, softer ride and better bite on the trail. i'm going to be bitter the day i have to run bigger than 16's on the scout... -cuss and don't get me started on bigger bling...ahem..corey;Really...:rotflmao oh well i'll enjoy what i got now. as long as i can get steel wheels too, not a fan of aluminum, never had any luck with them, either they split, crack, or the lug nuts loosen up on me. :dunnocookoo

good luck with the new moose bling. ;Sweet

-Jon

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wheels look sharp but i liked the old setup
youre truck is classic nothing else with 17s has that sleeper on it

adrianspeeder

USAF C-17 Avionics
Reaction score
Slowly starting to switch the fleet to 17's as the '08 can't physically fit anything smaller over the brakes.

You must be registered for see images attach

Guy that bought the 16.5's in the '74 was really happy I was selling them.

Adrianspeeder

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice wheels mel....question, do those have the steel tapered lug nut seats in them?

My brother got some Mickey Thompson Classic II's for his old truck and they had tapered steel lug nut seats which I thought was a really nice option. Mine have the tapered seats but I don't believe they have the steel inserts.

I just put new tires on my truck a couple weeks ago as well-
You must be registered for see images attach

As long as they keep making 285/75R16's I think I'll be fine! I got an awesome deal on these from Discount Tire Direct.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they won't make a 17" any wider than an 8.

Supply of used BEER can's is insufficient to make wider wheel's. Solution is to drink more Beer, preferably the 16 or 24 oz. cans. :D

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These.... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MCG-64806/?rtype=10 are the lug nuts I'm using. The are another part of my disappointment, since I have to give up my solid machined stainless steel lug nuts, and move on to these. Nobody makes solid stainless lug nuts anymore, so I have to accept chrome plated ones. The guys at the 4X4 shop swear by them, and they are guaranteed for life not to rust. But still.... I bought an extra pack because:

A) I don't believe them
B) The Moose Truck may outlast McGuard

They are tappered conical seats, but I don't see anything that looks like a steel insert.

As an aside, what IS available in a stainless lug nut is just a steel lug nut with a stainless jacket that will eventually loosen and fall off.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
actually some smaller companies still make rims in america and alcoa a hige aluminum plant makes their rims in america still too so its out there mel you shoulda looked farther maybe some rickson 19.5s

jon my new set going on when it warms up some will be one inch wider than youres
now to cut fenders and beat corey lol

mel i got contacts for stainless lugnuts too the racing market still uses them but they are a pretty penny

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have McGard lug nuts, they are the "splined" type and they came with my wheels when I bought them. I don't care how much they talk about their triple chrome plating and everything else, because mine have rust spots on them after 2 years (especially after the winter).

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i have to wonder if there is enough meet to machine down a 16.5 rim to get a 16 tire to fit on there safely.

might get in trouble with the DOT police though if they ever caught wind of it.

i do like the older rim style better but the new ones look sharp!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online