new fuel pump looks different

JeffMoss1

Jeff
Reaction score
I got a new mechanical fuel pump from NAPA.

The arms on the two fuel pumps that touch the eccentric on the camshaft look drastically different. One is pretty much straight with a slight angle bend before the last two inches or so. The new one is straight, then goes up sharp and then comes back down sharp near about near where the camshaft touches.

I'm sorry for the horrible description...my girlfriend has the digital camera at the moment, so I can't take a photo.

Why are they so much different. I installed the new one yesterday and I only seem to be getting 2 psi before the filter. What's the deal...did they give me the wrong one?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The arm was changed some time back. You need to make sure the arm is under the cam excentric and not on top of it. The low pressure makes me think you installed it on top of the cam but without being there its hard to say for sure. Others will chime in soon.

discbrks

Reaction score
I've heard that the replacements look different, but work fine. Only 2 psi does sound a little low. How does the truck run w/ the new pump?

JeffMoss1

Jeff
Reaction score
i'm hesitant to say that it seems to be running fine. Nothing seems wrong while I'm driving. I put the engine at tdc and removed the old pump. It came out really easily (i don't think the eccentric was pushing on it.) I just stuck the new one in figuring it would feel just as easy. It did. I bolted it back on. Should i have felt some resistance when putting it on?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think I'd put that pump on. It's not round with two wires coming out of it. LOL

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
there are two different versions of the mech fuel pump for these trucks but i agree with mel 100% get a block off plate for a 454 chebby motor and buy an electronic fuel pump, check out ebay cause i found the procomp version of the holley red and only payed like 30 bucks for it. I put mine on a relay with the ignition controlled by the ignition on the injector pump you don't have to worry about the mech fuel pump failing and fighting with the engine

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:thumbsup: I'm still looking for someone to do an electric pump conversion article for our tech library if you feel so inclinded.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There should have been an instruction slip with the pump that explained the change and also how to install correctly.

The new design is most likely that way because it is cheaper to make. Probably also easier to install incorrectly.

JeffMoss1

Jeff
Reaction score
The mechanical pump works fine, I actually like it because I don't have to solder anything (I hate electronics)...the only thing is that in order to prime the system, you have to turn the entire engine over...that's a lot of wasted energy and wear and tear when trying to diagnose problems/just prime the system after changing the fuel filter (which I do all the time since I run my van on most everything but muddy water :)

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
One of the reasons I won;t go electric is b/c I hear holleys get murdered by WMO/WVO - it's getting into the 20's overnight here now and it takes me 10 minutes tops to get to the point where I can switch to 100% WO.

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the Facet Dura lift, its been working great for lots of people, my fuel pump still works great but the engine spun a bearing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08