New. Any one use this wix fuel water sep

DozerDavis

Reaction score
Hi Im Davis I have beed reading and learning here for almost a year this site is the best thing that ever happened to me. I Bought my first diesel this past summer 89 F 250 4x4 srw std cab e4od banks sidewinder I have a question I am replacing my mech lift pump with a electric and also want to put a new fuel filter on. The sensor on my stock plastic bowl is broke I found this new wix that has no bottom but has a drain and sensor port built in. Has any one used this? at 40 a crack I want to know its good before I buy. Thanks to every one here I have done so much work to my truck and with out all the posts I never could have. the part number is 33617 wix I dont know how to put a link on here but i found the part on http://www.oreillyauto.com

grog85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, several members here have used this filter, and I put one on a month ago. Actually, the one I'm using and saw on here was a Wix 33417. Napa has the same filter under part # 3417. I talked them down to 30$, works great, no problems so far.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use this as the main filter/water sep that I pump my biodiesel through before it ever goes in my tanks. I think it's a pretty decent design. I only need to change it about 2 times a year and that fuel is pretty dirty before it goes through there. I think it only filters to about 30 microns though. One thing I have heard of some people doing with the 7.3s is to use a slightly different fuel filter that eliminates the bowl and still incorporates a water separator. I think it's a bit of money but you don't have to worry about getting that bowl to seal properly which can be an adventure at times. If you are running pump fuel from a reputable source you probably are running a fuel filter/water sep as insurance to save your butt in case you get a load of crappy fuel and can change it once or twice a year, and yes it is way cheaper than a new IP or set of injectors even at $40-50 a pop. If you're running homebrew B100 or a fuel cocktail you'll probably go through a few more fuel filters and will need to keep the costs withing reason. What I do is run a CAV fuel filter/water and sediment sep which is found on many tractors and agricultural equipment. Replacement elements are only around $7-8 and are available everywhere under every brand under the sun. Just don't break a fuel bowl, they aren't as widely available. Also I have the facet duralift pump which incorporates a trash bowl and mesh screen, and finally there is a stock 6.9 fuel filter, 6-10 microns depending on the brand, which is before the injection pump. The point is that you have lots of options to fix this so don't jump into anything and spend a bunch of money until you have done your homework, and make sure that it matches your typical fuel use and risk level for getting a batch of crap.

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wix 33617 is a one piece (no bowl) with drain and sensor port, It is a high quality 12 micron filter.

Part Number: 33617
UPC Number: 765809336179
Principal Application: Can be used in place of 33217 - This is a complete spin-on w/ drain + sensor port (sensor port connection is 7/16-20 - 33805 is the same filter w/ a different sensor port size - 1/2-20). If no sensor port needed, use 33417
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Fuel/Water Separator Filter
Service: Fuel
Height: 5.615
Outer Diameter Top: 4.250
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 1-14
Nominal Micron Rating: 12

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 3.535 3.160 0.270

DozerDavis

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. I mostly run #2 with a bit of 2 cyc or atf for lube . I just put all new fuel system in this money pit and new fuel filter how ever I got a cheap one from advanced auto I didnt know it was a pos i think it filters to 20 micros after spending all that green on the ip and injectors lift pump and return lines I want to protect my investment

autotech84601

Reaction score
I myself purchased the 33617 filter today and have been reading quite a bit as to people filling them with atf or stanadyne diesel kleen. It's there a particular reason to fill with cleaner or atf and what purpose does this accomplish. I'm just trying to learn as much as I can.

goatwrangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
autotech, they put atf or diesel kleen in the fuel filter to help clean the injectors. Plus its easier to handle than say a 5 gallon can of diesel fuel.

autotech84601

Reaction score
I use redline d4 atf instead of dexron, does it make a difference? Do I need to mix fuel in or fill all the way with atf? Thanks for all of the information.

BDOGONE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whatever you use get it as full as possible. Helps if you get less air into the system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online