Need to find and install a 7 blade trailer plug

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did finally find the 6 pin round to 7 blade adapter from Hopkins. I think I'm just going to remove the 6 pin round, and put in a J box, then intall a 7 blade milti plug with an additional 4 pin connector. That should cover everything I will ever pull, and on the odd case I run into something else it will be easy to tie it into the J box. It will cost me a little more this way, but sometimes saving $20 to $30 just isn't worth the headaches, and it will still be less than half the cost of the OEM connectors that I've found that still wouldn't fit the truck without some additional "customizing".

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I kept the OEM 6 pin, and have 3-4 adaptors. I can hook on to dang near any trailer out there.

I've never run across a trailer with a 6 pin connector. I know they are out there, but I just haven't run across one. Everything is either 4 or 7. With a 7 blade/4 pin connector, I'll be able to hook up to almost anything without needing an adapter. If I ever need a 5 pin or 6 pin or even a 7 pin round, I can pick up an adapter for them almost anywhere.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I just kept the OEM because of the wiring. It's all weather pack connex, etc. I keep the 7 blade connected full time, and adapt off that. My trailer brake is hard wired into the 7 blade, so that just stays connected

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pollak makes a nice metal 7-pole plug for on the truck. That's what I use I got sick of braking the cheep plastic ones.
Do you have a link by chance? Is that for a 7-blade style, or for a semi truck type 7-round?

I would love to find a quality metal 7-blade plug...

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just kept the OEM because of the wiring. It's all weather pack connex, etc. I keep the 7 blade connected full time, and adapt off that. My trailer brake is hard wired into the 7 blade, so that just stays connected

That's kind of what I will do. I'll remove the wiring from the 6 pin at the plug, then run that to a conntek trailer junction box that I can mount up behind my hitch so it's out of the way. Then I can run the wiring for the 7 blade back to that, and if/when I have to change it, the junction box will make it a lot easier. My primairy focus is to keep everything up out of the way so that it doesn't snag as easily on limbs and stuff when I drive through the woods. More than once I've set the truck on all 4 axles with a full load of firewood on. I'd hate to damage the box and/or wiring by setting my frame on it next time that happens. That would really suck...

WilltheThrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i Have a question, a few months ago I took my time and wired up a 7 prong simply adding to the flat connector that was there now long story short my batts were drained when i got back to the truck a week later. now my pos wire was connected via a breaker and the ground was not attached ,, could not being grounded have helped drain my system?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes