need some help asap! truck died

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
(UPDATE)need some help asap! truck died

Hey guys, i was just out driving and my truck died as i was goin down the road. It was at about 2400rpm, and pullin hard at about 15 pounds boost. Its just shut down as if i had turned the key off no weird sounds or big messes of oil. I do know it still cranks over sounds like it has compression and doesnt smoke while cranking with the key on i can unplug the fuel shut off and hear it click when i plug it back in so i know its working . Heres a bit of a lead up. The last few weeks it has started to slightly smoke blue at idle and run rough like shaking etc not quite a mis fire but shakes the truck . Its got new fuel filters and new engine oil and lots of fuel its raining like you wouldnt belive so i have really checked much as it just happend. Its parked at a buddies place right now gunna get it towed to my shop where i can diag on it hopefully the injection pump went pouff but im surre my luck its the worst if u need more info ask away and ill be checkin back lots. Thanks a bunch in advance

Last edited:

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
As far as i know i have a fuel preasure gauge and vefore it shut down it was at 7 psi but i cud be mistaken was exactly watchin it and when i crank my gauge doesnt read so ill check filter and makr sure i have fuel comin out up top

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
so i am now at my shop, i cracked the line from inj pump to fuel filter. there is fuel at them lines when cranking. next step, close that off crack injector line and crank.... no fuel coming out of the injector lines........ hmmmmm i are stumped now. did my injector pump have a catastropic failure internally?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Do you have a spare FSS? Perhaps replace that and see if the IP will pump. But considering you hear it click and its still not putting fuel out...I'm thinking bad pump.

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
Thats what i am leaning towards i read a few posts about t he main shaft inside the pump breaking and doing this so tomorrow i will replace the pump and hope for the best Any other questions / info to go off appreciated as always

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What type fuel were you running. If it was wmo at what percentage was it. If it #2 diesel then its got to be an injection pump issue. So how much fuel is getting thru the filter? Now when you removed a hard line at the injector and did not see fuel squirting out thats not unusual. We have very little fuel getting thru the hard line. Its never a big squirt like a gasser engine fuel system. Also do not cover the end of the hard line with a finger. Pressure will build up and inject diesel into you finger. Then your sick as hell and maybe loose that finger. Just cracking the lines at the injectors will squirt fuel out of them better than removing and looking for a gusher.

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
it poured outta the lift pump line like crazy when i cracked it and the lines on the injectors i cracked had zero fuel come out, there was so little in them that when i loosend them off nothing even dripped out of the fitting. and as far as fuel i run diesel. like i said above ive had a bit of a running issue to start with like it was shaking at idle so im sure it was just due time before the ip died

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a very similar IP failure with my truck. Bombing down the highway then out of nowhere, no power, then once I coasted to the end of the off ramp, it just died. Hopefully its as easy as an IP replacement.

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
I hope so too im not sure what else it could be just to randomly shut off no strange anything to lead up other then running at idle strange

Black dawg

Reaction score
If you are comfortable pulling the top of the pump off, you could verify if the shaft is broken.....or not. I had a very similar issue, that I assumed the shaft had broken, never even checked and pulled the pump. Well shaft wasnt broken...ended up being plugged vent wire, have no idea what the stuff was that was in there, but got it out and never any more problems.

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen a plugged check valve on the return line at the top of the pump cause similar issues, but mine also idled kinda funny a short time before it died. Generally if the check valve on the return line up top is getting plugged, then something is breaking apart inside which still brings you back to a dying/dead pump.

I don't know of any vent line or wire on these pumps, it would seem to me that this type of fuel system wouldn't work well with a vent line considering how sensitive it is to air in the system. Perhaps someone else can chime in.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
There is a vent wire internally in the pump. I'm not sure what it does but its there. When you posted about removing the line at the lift pump. What side did you remove? The filter side or the tank side. Makes a big difference really. To check the filter flow you need to remove the line that feeds fuel from the filter to the injection pump. Then crank for something like 15 seconds catching the fuel pumped thru the filter. Thats the best way to know what the fuel volume is. Inside the injection pump where the fuel enters there is a screen. When a filter gets really dirty or some algae forms that screen catches it. Sadly I can't recommend removing it when the pump is connected to the engine. Way too many tiny parts can fall out and ruin the pump. I posted up a u tube video once or twice showing a great cutaway pump and very good explanation of how it works. I will see if I can find it and repost it.