need some help asap! truck died

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
It was the line right at the rear of the ip, so much fuel it would fill a gallon pail in a few seconds its was sprayin everywhere.

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
I have a good ip out of another running factory turbo idi ive got sitting here that im not doin much with so im pulling it and putting it in my rig tonight

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
So heres some progress.... got old pump out . Rotate wheee it bolts to gear and it spins super easy. Took the little triangle cover off and its done seized up inside and nothing turns when u turn front shaft

Silentnoise

Reaction score
If I remeber correctly the diesel these days has very little oil in it compared to the fuel from when these engines were made and read on here some time ago that mixing a little 2 stroke oil in the fuel will help keep these pumps well lubed up inside. I have done with numerous times with my truck and it runs smooth and starts up everytime. Might help with the new used pump putting in if its been sitting. Just my .02 but again I have done it with great results.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also see in your sig line that you have the IP "maxed out". I have heard, (read:no personal experience) that when the fuel screw is maxed out it is very ******* the rotating parts of th IP.

Just a thought as to why it seized the rotor.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^^ Sorta. It's the drastically reduced sulfur content (ULSD - ultra-low sulfur diesel) that has reduced the lubricity of the fuel. MARINE two-cycle oil (MUST say ASHLESS on the label) restores that lubricity. Just look for code TC-W3. 1 oz TC-W3 per gallon of diesel; you might even notice it running quieter. Off the shelf, supposedly Mall-Wart has the best deal on it, but since I never darken their door, best price I've found is this stuff on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0077K8TPY - comes out to about $16/gallon; silly little pint bottles, but that's conveniently just about enough for a tankful.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can also get the Stanadyne additive at AutoZone. Nice way to clean things out once in a while.

Wal-Mart TC-W3 is cheap and has great reviews from the boating community (used to own one).

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a tough break. You don't have a good core, so you may have to pay a bit more for a replacement, or try to find a junkyard pump to turn in.

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
i had a factory turbo engine laying around so i pulled the ip off ( might only have 1500km on it) put that in my truck. it starts and runs nicer then ever but it still has a slight id say miss at a idle like before the old pump died. i do have one injector that is not totally tight in its seat cause there was a slight amount of diesel around the threads and its bubbling, going to fix that tomorrow and on the same injector the one return cap is starting to leak. would that cause a stumble in idle? it starts fine after sitting so it isnt sucking air when not running. just something is up when idleing, also when it locks up in OD it stumbles then as well due to low rpm and load. so i think im gunna drop in a known good set of injectors and return lines and try that out. im starting to get annoyed with thing after thing going wrong and making me wanna do my cummins swap sooner but thats not realistic yet as im still rebuilding it and saving for parts. so ya whatcha think? if what ive typed is confusing ask and ill clairify i kinda seem to just type and type till everything is out and nothing makes sense the second time i read it and ya thanks guys

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Stumble, leaking injector and return. I wonder if that injector is stuck open. That would allow compression up into the injector body, and can even melt the return cap causing a leak. That injector may be the cause of your miss and stumble.

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
i did crack all 8 injectors and the miss fire cause by doing soo was similar throught all 8 but that one was not quite as noticeable as the others being opend. anything is possible. the bubbles are coming up through the threads at the head and injector just to clairify that

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
I also see in your sig line that you have the IP "maxed out". I have heard, (read:no personal experience) that when the fuel screw is maxed out it is very ******* the rotating parts of th IP.

Just a thought as to why it seized the rotor.

I noticed that too. Same thought crossed my mind. I wonder if a bad/marginal injector was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back?

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
Replaced injectors and return lines said problems fixed runs smooth pics to follow tonight plugged up injectors is all i have to say oh and one getting stuck in the head